MNScuba.com

Full Version: underwater speedometer and testing fins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a very interesting weekend. I got together with J. Grier and he let me use one of his underwater speedometers. I tested a half dozen of my fins and several of his split fins. I learned that you really can't go by feel as to how a fin is performing. A real surprise to me was a pair of Sporasub Cruise fins that I have... after the first time I wore them I figured they were worthless, but the speedometer showed otherwise. These fins will see more action from me.. They would be great scuba fins or u.w. hockey fins for my flutter kick style. The two spit fins I tried, sorry, don't remember the brands.. were worlds apart in speed from each other, so I think it would be a mistake to rule out all split fins..the one pair actually performed quite well (course, they didn't achieve the speed of my mono, 4.9 mph max) but to say no split fin is good would be a mistake. I also had a good indication that what excels for one individual may not excel for another. Very interesting anyway and I plan to do many more tests in the future.
Fred
Hey, I also see it's Jim Grier's b-day today.. well, happy b-day.
;D