MNScuba.com

Full Version: camera gun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since we are only allowed to spear certain fish in Wisconsin, like panfih and rough fish, I wanted to be able to take picutres of all those nice game fish htat I come across while freediving. I had been carrying a camera on my float, but by time I dropped my speargun, which is clipped to my float, and grabbed my camera, the fish was gone.

This lead me to make a camera mount for my spaergun. It still needs some fine tunning but This is how she looks so far.

Jon
Here's a shot of a fish that didn't get away. Wink

No, I didn't shoot him with the gun, just the camera. ;D

Water was 40 degrees and the vis was around 15' in Lake Mendota today. We got cold spearfishing after about an hour and a half, whcih happens when your just sitting on the bottom as still as can be waiting for them to swim up to you.

So, we warmed up a bit and grabbed the monofins instead for some play time in the deeper water. Once we started swimming around we could have stayed in for hours. It's amazing how a little movement can warm you up very qucikly. 8)
Jon
Say Jon... ahh.. hey, don't take any pictures of me while you're a spear fishin' o.k.?
Fred
Me either! That tennis ball looks dangerous!

next step... digital rangefinder, plot firing solution, hit them on the run?

Seriously, any spearfishing legal in Mn? Like fred, I'm a Nodak who spends lots of time in West-Central Mn, and I sure would like to hunt a few now and then.
The camera can just unscrew off the mount if I want to take a picture of a diver.

We usually space ourselves apart, and have our guns attached to surface floats to maintian that distance, while spearfishing.

I believe that only rough fish our leagal in Minnesota. I think North Dakota will let you shoot nything that moves. ;D

Wisconsin is rough fish and panfish.
Neat mod there Jon. Is there any problem with the gun getting into the picture though since the camera is mounted back so far?
I just zoom in until the barrel is no longer visible.

jon
Fred,

Here's a few shots that you'll enjoy. Wink

These were taken with my camera mounted onto my speargun.

I put my digital camera into video mode and then captured a few of the stills off of the video clip. I know that they aren't the sharpest, but until I get a full time video camera mounted on there it still looks pretty cool. 8)

Jon