MNScuba.com

Full Version: Spearfishing in MN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Is Spearfishing in MN legal? I have tried the DNR site and asking numerous divers and cannot seem to find out the answer...... This is something i would like to try out. Big Grin
I don't believe it is unless you are Native American, and then that's topside. There is spear fishing out of South Dakota and along the border there on it's side.
Just met a guy Tuesday that spearfishes in MN, although I'm not sure if he does it legally. He said he spearfishes carp - and for what reason, I'm not sure . . .

just to kill things and the thrill of it, I'm sure...
There's always so idiot who thinks it's fun and cool to put a 'bullet' in something versus enjoying the 'shot' through a camera lens. Sad It's another matter if he's feeding his family with it - which is SO hard to do with all the Cubs, Raninbows, and Lunds around....
I think you can spearfish for carp from above water using a spearhouse. I'm not sure if the rules are different for underwater.
Not really interested in spearing carp. Don't taste too good from what i hear. Tongue
I believe you can only spear rough fish in Minnesota- thus, the carp.

Carp are ok if you smoke them, my grandfather always prefered a smoked carp to a smoked trout. I think that has to do with the fact that it's a fattier fish. I have a friend from the Czech Republic who has books of carp recipies- I guess they make it for Chrsitmas dinner over there.

In many Wisconsin counties you can spear rough fish and pan fish. I normally go for crappie and bluegill, with an occasional perch who wanders by. I will say that I ONLY spearfish while freediving, and don't consider it to be sporting to spearfish while on scuba.

As far as just wanting to "plug" something with a bullet instead of a camera, all I can say is I have my camera mounted to my gun- shoot the fish I can eat and take pictures of the ones I can't shoot.

Fred would be the Expert on the Dakota's, but I think you can even spear gamefish over there.

If you think it's easy, try doing without scuba gear and let me know how you did. I got skunked last weekend and never even took a shot.

Jon
Funny, I just picked up the 2004 MN DNR Book this morning.

Notes:
Using artificial light to lure or attract fish, or to see fish when spearing, is unlawful.

Rough fish may be taken by spearing (Bullhead, Sucker, Redhorse and other Rough Fish Species)

Spears must have a tetherd line not more than 20', and can only be discharged when the equipment and operatior are entirely under the surface of the water.

They can not be used within 1000' of a swimming beach

The spearing season as May 1st 2004 to Feb 20th 2005
Does it say anything about spearfishing from ice houses in the winter?
Yes, the 2004 MN Fishing Regs Booklet includes rules & regulations for spearing during winter months. Fishes you can spear for (other than rough fish) are Northerns, cat & white fish.

Additionally infor. for underwater spearing: yes, you must have a fishing licence, explosive tips are NOT LEGAL, rough fish cannot be taken from designated trout streams & lakes, speared or dead rough fish may not be returned to the water or left on the banks. Lastly, there are many lakes where spear fishing of any kind are never legal - I suggest picking up the DNR booklet for details.

Enjoy!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5