MNScuba.com

Full Version: Diver missing - St. Paul
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this in the Pioneer Press. Sad

Posted on Fri, Apr. 23, 2004

Diver missing in Vadnais Lake

BY ALLEN POWELL II

Pioneer Press

A contract diver for the St. Paul Regional Water Services apparently drowned today, despite Ramsey County Water Patrol efforts to rescue the man, who became trapped in Vadnais Lake in Vadnais Heights.

The unidentified man was conducting tests on the lake, which serves as a natural water source for the utility, said Mark Naylon, a spokesman for the Ramsey County Sheriff's Department.

The man was down about 60 feet with another contract diver checking on an aerating system in the lake when he apparently became trapped inside a 14- by 40-foot intake pipe.

Naylon was uncertain about how the man became trapped. About twelve divers from neighboring communities are searching for the body, Naylon said.

My condolences to his family.

Would this diver have been on OC?
Here's another article with more information. My condolences to the family, as well.

Posted on Sat, Apr. 24, 2004

VADNAIS HEIGHTS: Water utility diver dies

BY ALLEN POWELL II

Pioneer Press

A contract diver for the St. Paul Regional Water Services died Friday during a routine cleaning of equipment in Vadnais Lake in Vadnais Heights, and officials are uncertain of the cause of death.

The unidentified 44-year old man and Greg Hegi — the owner of the company that handles the twice-a-year maintenance — were cleaning the outside of an aerator about 60 feet below the surface about 10 a.m., said Jim Bode, the water quality supervisor for the utility.

After removing algae and slime, Hegi motioned to the other diver to surface and proceeded to swim up. However, when Hegi reached the surface, he realized the man had not followed him, Bode said.

When Hegi dove to search for the man, he found him floating inside of the aerator tangled in cables, Bode said. Hegi saw the man's face mask appeared to be filled with blood and he swam to the surface to call 911, Bode said.

It took divers from neighboring communities and the Ramsey County water patrol several hours to free the entangled man.

The incident occurred 200 to 300 yards from a pumping station in the southwest portion of the lake.

Law enforcement officials and Bode were uncertain whether the man drowned or died due to a medical factor. The Ramsey County medical examiner was investigating late Friday afternoon.

Hegi's company, Hegi Enterprises LLC, always has handled aerator cleaning and helped with its installation in 1987, Bode said.

Friday was the first time the unidentified man, an experienced diver, had participated in the cleaning, said Helga Kessler, a spokeswoman for the regional water services.

This is the first fatal accident involving a utility worker in any of its lakes, Kessler said.

"It's a tragedy, and our hearts go out to his family," said St. Paul City Council Member Pat Harris, who also serves as board president of the water utility, which serves 14 cities and about 415,000 people.

Vadnais Lake is a natural holding station for water before it is processed at the utility's treatment centers.

It's impossible to piece together facts from a newspaper article.

If they are cleaning the outside of the aerator, how does the victim end up inside the aerator? I guess I need a better understanding of what this aerator looks like.

The words "experienced diver" always raise a red flag for me. You could put the most experienced open water diver inside a cave and he may be in serious trouble.
I thought that comercial divers always were to have a safety diver on the surface when a diver is under the water?

It seems that we don't have all the facts on this dive yet.