MNScuba.com

Full Version: Recent diver fatality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone have any information about the recent diver fatality? I just caught the tale end of the news, and didn't catch the whole story....... ???
Here is the story found on strib website.

Last update: April 24, 2004 at 9:11 PM
Drowned diver identified as Minneapolis man
Tim Harlow, Star Tribune
April 25, 2004DIVER0425

The man who drowned while cleaning an aeration facility 60 feet below the surface of Vadnais Lake on Friday morning had a lifelong passion for deep-water adventure and was a highly skilled diver, family members said Saturday.

In his 20 years as a scuba diver, Curtis Buttrey, 41, of Minneapolis, had taken on many challenging assignments. He worked for an East Coast diving company and had dived for the Navy. He did welding on offshore oil rigs, took photographers on aquatic outings and ran a business that harvested weeds from lakes.

He spent hundreds of hours underwater, and Friday was going to be just another day at work. Buttrey and another diver completed routine maintenance work on a St. Paul city water treatment facility about 10 a.m. The two men had about 45 minutes of air left in their tank when they were going to surface, Buttrey's sister Kari Pickering, of Brooklyn Park, said Saturday. The first diver swam to the surface, but Buttrey apparently got caught in some weeds and cables. His body was pulled from the chilly water of the lake just off Interstate Hwy. 694 and Rice St. about three hours later.

The Ramsey County medical examiner's office identified Buttrey as the victim Saturday afternoon, but autopsy results were not complete.

Buttrey's family and friends spent Saturday wondering just how such an accident could have happened to a man with a wealth of experience.

"He died doing what he loved," Pickering said. "He was very safety-conscious and not one to go off willy-nilly. He was always aware of what he was doing."

Pickering said her brother recently had bought a company that harvested leaf plants and milfoil from area lakes. He named it 35 Fathoms Inc., the depth for which he was certified to dive (210 feet).

"That was his baby. It was his pride and joy," she said.

Besides his love for the water, which began when he joined the swim team at St. Louis Park High School, Buttrey loved to hunt and had planned to go on a safari to Africa this year, Pickering said.

Pickering said her brother also loved his two dogs and liked to watch Looney Tunes cartoons. But more important, he had a "fabulous sense of humor and was a wonderful uncle" for her two children and a role model for the two children of his longtime girlfriend, who lived next door to him.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

"He was my leaning post," Pickering said. "There wasn't anybody who didn't love him."

Tim Harlow is at harlow@startribune.com
I think it is important for us as divers to evaluate all diver fatalities to as how they could have been prevented so that we do not make the same mistake ourselves. So my question to the group for this story is what went wrong?
Was up in brainerd this weekend and stopped at MN school of diving to check out there commercial dive course there. Bill the owner has been teaching and diving for some 47 years. His diver use surface supplied air and hot water in suits, plus bailout bottle on back in case something goes wrong........
My question is what happened to the second diver? If they were both going to surface, shouldn't he have noticed when his partner didn't show up? The story is way too incomplete, as this seems like something that should definitely have been included.
From what I've gathered in all that I've read, the second diver noticed right away that his coworker was missing, and went back to see what happened. The diver was not found, so he surfaced, they contacted the RCS Dive Team.
The water is pretty murky to be looking for someone with less than 45 min worth of air.

DRE

Does anyone else notice anything wrong with this picture - 45 mins of gas available...?
Much of this story doesn't pass the smell test. Unfortunatly we are getting all of our information from the media. They always have thier spin and very rarely provide acurate information.
:-[
Quote:Does anyone else notice anything wrong with this picture - 45 mins of gas available...?

Yeah I guess 45 mins is a lot of time, I guess like you said with the media giving all the details who knows.
My question is why weren't they using surface supplied air and bailout bottles. Those are standard in commercial operations. That way they would have had backup had something bad happened. Which it did. But you guys are right. We don't have all the facts, there certainly wasn't alot of detail in the strib article.
Pages: 1 2