MNScuba.com

Full Version: Wetsuits-thermal properties..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there any way to modify or increase the effectiveness of a wetsuit so that i can stay down longer in colder waters?
Pee in it Wink
Besides that, lol ;D
You can add a layer to the wetsuit -- like a 2mil vest under the suit or a hooded vest on top of the suit. The downside is that you may have to add more weight to compensate.

You can use a semi-dry suit and reduce or eliminate water from entering the suit.

You can sell the suit on ebay and buy a drysuit.

The big problem with a wetsuit is that it compresses at depth. You lose much of the thermal protection.

DRE

It's called a drysuit...
shamre - I'll assume that you are looking for some constructive advice. There are several things you can do. But keep in mind that you are ultimately fighting a losing battle if you are interested in Midwest/Great Lakes diving (which I'm assuming you are). A wetsuit is just fine for (fairly) shallow dives in local lakes during the summer. The problem gets to be that for any other kind of "local" diving (Spring, Fall, Superior, deeper dives in local lakes, Wazee, mines, etc..) you have to load up a great deal of neoprene. Above and beyond the fact that neoprene loses more and more of its thermo protection properties the deeper you go, you also end up with a massive buoyancy shift. This dictates the need for a large amount of your weight to be ditchable. This raises a whole host of other issues.

Anyway, assuming you are trying to make the best of your current situation try the following: Make sure your gloves, boots, and hood (and suit) fit as snug as possible without being overly restrictive or uncomfortable. This will make the biggest difference. Also make sure these are of good quality. Cheaper neoprene will crush easier. Make sure your gloves can be cinched tight around your wrist. Make sure your boots and ankle seals meet properly and stay connected throughout the dives. Some divers like to wear 100% wool socks under their boots. This helps fill up any extra air space, and wool retains thermo properties even when wet. I know some people carry a thermos full of warm water and use this to pre-charge your gloves, boots, and even suit before a dive.

Consider renting a suit and taking a dry suit class. A good dry suit instructor will not only cover "here's-how-to-add-gas-and-here's-how-to-drain-gas" but will also explain fit, materials, underwear, techniques while diving, emergency procedures, care and maintenance, and other areas.