MNScuba.com

Full Version: Diving in St Cloud Quarries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
Does anyone remember diving in the quarries near St Cloud.
I used to dive there in the early 70's (I was 6). Now I can't remember where they were. Maybe it is the present location of Quarry Park, a Sterns county park.

I looked at one called Melrose Deep., but I cannot tell without looking at the bottom.
They used to have clear water, lots of fish and nice ledges for training and teaching.
The park now allows diving in Melrose Deep. They want some sort of release of liability. Funny the county dosent ask the swimmers for release of liability. Are divers being singled out? Is this justified, or just nervous county attorneys?

Any other quarries in the St Cloud area that divers can get into?
Cheers, dive safe, dive often.
Roche'

Melrose Deep is now part of quarry park. It's located west of St Cloud, near Waite Park. There are several quarries there. As a boy, I used to swim these quarries and would like to dive them. Last year I called the park director to find out if diving was allowed. She said it was not. Maybe it is allowed now.

Roche,

There used to be two quarries within walking distance west of Waite Park, towards St Joseph on Division street. They were called Cambell's quarry and Granit City quarry. They are not part of the quarry park. Also there is a small quarry, maybe privately owned, next to the cemetary. it is located on 10th street south as you head to quarry park. Used to be known as Prow's quarry. I don't know if any of these quarries exist today.

There also used to be a small quarry in St Cloud which was located next to the penitentiary off highway 10.
Tony,
Thanks for the info.
I rode my bike around Quarry Park. It is great for trail riding.
Melrose Deep is about 1/2 mile from the parking lot. There is a nice floating dock for swimmers. The contour map shows a depth of 120 feet.
The county allows instructors with classes to use it. I wonder if this is a new policy. I am interested in working with Sterns Co. to get more access for divers. More like the bikers and hikers ie. Enter the park during open hours, make a safe dive, be courtious to other users of the park, pick up your mess and leave.
I talked to the folks at the Sterns County Historical Society about other quarries in the area. Most are owned by Cold Spring Granite Co. I wonder what the deepest one is? Next week I will visit the Historical Society and look at their map. They list all the quarries in the area and have some info on each one.
Got to go work on the boat now.
Cheers, dive safe, dive often,
Roche