MNScuba.com

Full Version: Full Face Masks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody using the Aga or the scubapro out there. Just wondering with the colder conditions does it help with the warmth factor. As they say head, hands and feet keep them covered you will keep warmer.

K
I've used AGA's and Cressi's for contaminated water stuff, but something that is a LOT cheaper, and works out better in case of emergancies, is a Henderson ICE CAP. You can wear it under your regualr wetsuit hood and it only costs about $30.

Jon
I've used them before and it gave me a head squeeze and didnt find that to comfortable. Plus they rip to easy.

K
You need to make sure that you get water inside them so you can clear your ears. We've been using them for scuba divng, and freediving, for quite few years with great success.

IF you found those uncomfortable, then you are probably not going to like the AGA. You need to adjust the chin strap first and then the rest of the spider harness- because the mask is so bouyant it pulls up on your chin the whole dive. I knwow many people who attach wheel balancing weights to the outside of the AGA faceplate to try and eliviate some of that upward pressure.

Plus, you have to worry about Out Of Air emergancies. The best way to handle them is with a stage bottle and an RSV-1 valve. This costs money and takes some time to set up properly. Simply taking the mask off, in a panic situation, and going to a back up reg is not a good idea. If your in shallow water, where OOA are not a problem, and you only want it for warmth, not positive pressure to keep the contaminated water out, then a simple Cressi mask would work. These are less than $90 and will last a long time. You can even use them with your current regulator system.

There's another mask to look into made, I think, by Diving Systems. It actually has a removable bottom half so you can access any regulator that you want. I think they are on the expensive side, but are MUCH more versatile than the Scubapro, and much more comfortable than the AGA. I've even seen where people had them hooked up to their rebreathers and were able to take the bottom half of the maks off, by a series of latches, and switch to open circut bail-out.

Here's a shot of the cressi.

Jon
Here's the link for the DSI "super Mask":

Jon
I've been using the aga mask for years, just wondering if any one else is. Never had a problem with out of air situations. I use a sartec block and carry a back up mask.

K
The RSV-1 is the Sartec block that I was talking about. Sounds like you already have a good set-up then. Do you have one of there SV-1, surface breathing vents, on your mask as well?

I've seen a lot of divers try and dive the AGA's without the block, or even a backup mask, and get into trouble with them out on the wrecks. They run out of air and then are stuck breathing off of somone's octo with no mask on in 40 degree water. One guy even did this with a bunch of deco left to do- not smart, and not someone I dive with.

Jon
I tried it a few times. But didnt like it. Fogging and it sticking were two points i didnt like. I can say with about 1000 dives using it never once have i had to take it off on a real dive. I do practice drills but never in a real time situation. Running out of air is not an option for me. always carry amble supply

K

I use the ice cap with a regular mask and have been really happy with it. Keeps my head much warmer than just a regular hood. I also tend to have better luck with my mask sealing than when it's right against my face.