MNScuba.com

Full Version: Square Lake platform lines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If anyone feels up to it wanna run a new line from the Golden Acres platforms to the county park side ones again? Joel pointed out to me last Friday that someone cut the line connecting the platforms. >Sad
I would be up for it. What time will you be at cinco de divo tonight? 8)
Unfortunately I can't make it tonight. Sad That's why I figured I'd throw a post up here in case anyone was interested in running the new line.
You know you are running a line through the boating lane?
No, I didn't cut the cut the line either, but do remember it's thread from last year.

I think it's pretty irresponsible to place a line for others to follow - one in which new divers or anyone needing to surface unexpectedly - might happen to do so in the lane of boat traffic. It's NOT the boater's responsibility to move for the divers there - those are designated boat traffic lanes.

If someone gets injured, are your willing to take responsibility for that?

If I see a line running through that boat launch/boat lane area - I wont delay in cutting and removing it.

Dirk
Wow, you're totally overreacting Dirk.  The line is 15 feet underwater what's the problem?  Divers can dive wherever they want to in Square lake with the exception of the beach inside the roped off swimming areas on the park side during beach season.  It "IS" the boaters responsibility to move for any dive flag floating in the lake.  If you are diving underwater do you think you know where every boat is above you?  Your statement is and a non-issue in my opinion.
Dirk Diggler what do you mean when you say "boating lane" "designated boat traffic lanes"? Out at Big Island on Lake Minnetonka they have boating lanes marked off with buoys. Is there any such designation on Square? Signs at the landing? There is also a boat landing at Golden Acres – does this mean those lines should also be removed?

I guess I am not afraid of boats when I am scuba diving but when freediving that is another story...
Good point. Obviously you aren't going to be diving in the shipping lane in front of the Duluth lift bridge in Lake Superior but at Square Lake? It's all fair game along the shoreline. The platforms are out far enough from the boat docks and the beach. The water is deep enough there for safe diving. To say that an inexperienced diver might surface in a boat lane just makes no sense. A diver could potentially have an emergency and have to surface at anyplace or anytime. Boats are to stay away from dive flags bottom line. Now if the diver wasn't towing a dive flag and gets hit by a boat that's the divers own problem.
Actually I would sure like to dive the Wilson sometime soon!

;D

The public boat access area has a no diving sign. The question is: how is a boating lane technically defined? I don't recall any special markers at Square. But the lane still could exist. How far out into the water does the boating lane extend? If "the crossing" cuts through a boating lane then I recommend against it. If it doesn't cut through a lane then I see no reason to deny it.

I have seen boats go flying by the swimming area at Golden Acres -- right over the dive platforms. I think this area is just as dangerous as the crossing.

In Minnetonka, you don't have scuba training areas in those boat tracffic areas you speak of.
I have seen hundreds of new divers who simply swim along following those lines and before they know it, are on top of the water. (then they pull on their dump valve and sink like a rock, it happens over and over again like yo-yo's until they get their buoyancy more under control.)

Boaters loading and unloading some times have trouble, they back in and out a lot, sometimes they have to wait above areas in turn. Are they to keep moving out of those areas designated for them to appeaze you, no. There are more instances than that, that could get divers in trouble here.

Furthermore, this isnt a matter of appeazing YOUR fun and you always have the right away -
That area is a PUBLIC ACCESS designated for boats entering and exiting the lake, you are not allowed to dive from there either.
Golden Acres is not a designated public access -it's PRIVATE PROPERTY.

The public access is more of a courtesy to the boaters, to keep the divers out of the area of loading and unloading. (You should be doing the same at Golden Acres)
How many boaters out there know the dive flag laws? Who are we kidding, placing that line simply creates more endangerment. (People have had the foresight of this, NOT to have already done this before)

You're not breaking laws by doing what you are thinking of, but it's more of the courtesy that your imposing on, and potentially creating an additional risk to anyone going into that area by following the lead you are setting.

IF YOU ARE THE ADVANCED DIVERS YOU SAY YOU ARE, WHY DON'T YOU JUST NAVIGATE YOUR WAY OVER THERE BY COMPASS?

I don't think I'm overeacting to anything, 15 feet or otherwise doesn't mean crap when someone surfaces unexpectedly and gets swiped by a boat. Do you want the lawyers calling you for setting that line they followed?

New divers go out there and use those lines as guides - their skills are not good or developed, nor do they think about the potential evasion of boats.
Ignoring that places more risk to those who surface in those areas for whatever reason.

Lay that line, it will be cut.
Pages: 1 2 3