MNScuba.com

Full Version: Know of any volunteer opportunities?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey everyone!
I am a High School Science Teacher in a South Metro suburb. I received my open water certification while an Undergraduate, and I am interested in any volunteer opportunities that would allow me to utilize my dive skills. I have contacted the Minnesota Zoo, but I don't have any other ideas (I'm assuming Emergency Services and Police Departments employ their own personnel with certification and would not accept volunteers-I have heard this from several people I have spoken with).  I would even be interested in diving to inspect boats, docks, etc., anything that gets me back into the water. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!!
The Carver County dive team is looking for volunteers.  I actually talked to the dive team trainer today.  Search and rescue diving is a whole different ballgame though.
check out the Duluth Great Lakes aqarium, they are looking for divers to do feeding , they have some requirements but its a very possible fit for your interests.

also check out
Jason-thanks for the plug. Smile

The Carver County Sheriff's Office Dive Team is looking for additional divers and top side support.  If you are interested in Public Safety Diving and are willing to make a firm commitment I would be happy to discuss some of the details.

Chris

What is the url link for great lakes aquarium feeding volunteer opportunities?  Also on a related note, to be part of the carver county dive team you have to live fairly close to the area. So that response time is 15 minutes or less. I checked into this but it did not work for me because i live to far away.
URL for Great Lakes Aquarium is    It was really a bunch of fun cleaning the tanks and hand feeling the fish.  The tanks are small (once you are inside) but it was a great experience.  I highly recommend it.  The drive from twin cites was tough.

As a member of the Carver dive team I am not aware of a max distance/time requirement.  I live in Bloomington.

Chris 
I've been a volunteer at Great Lakes Aquarium for a few months, and it is still fun.  Benefits of being a volunteer are the same as for employees, including family members free admission when you dive, or any other time for that matter, 30% off at the gift shop, and a couple of picnics and get togethers every year.  They're very grateful for those that will volunteer their time, as it helps to keep their costs down.  I live about a mile and a half away, so it's quite convenient for me, but you'd have about a three hour drive.  Diving there gets me wet during these winter months.  It's fun!  The kids love watching us dive and feed the fish.  A dive buddy of mine pulled out his reg, and gave a sturgeon a big ol' kiss.  Says that's the last liplock he'll do with one of those!
Check with the University.  Start with someone in the biology or limnology department.  They might have some studies going on this summer where divers are needed to collect samples, etc.  Might also check with USGS (US Geological Survey).  They expressed some interest once in having me do some deep diving for them at Wazee, but it never panned out.  They always have projects going on and might need divers.  These things would be more fun than cleaning boats.

John J
[quote='MNDiver link' pid='2223' dateline='1109631739']
Jason-thanks for the plug. Smile

The Carver County Sheriff's Office Dive Team is looking for additional divers and top side support.  If you are interested in Public Safety Diving and are willing to make a firm commitment I would be happy to discuss some of the details.

Chris

I would be interested in being a rescue diver volunteer, but would like to know more about this.  What types of rescue dives do you guys do? If you want to email me off the board you can reach me at stephenhamre@yahoo.com

[/quote]
Sorry about that it appears that it included my text in the quote by accident. I am interested in becoming a rescue diver for carver county.
Pages: 1 2