MNScuba.com

Full Version: Diving Courtesy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Groovekitty

Actually, we didn't get the chance to ask. Unfortunately, they were still in the water when it was time for us to leave.

I welcome an explanation - although to be perfectly honest, I can't figure out what reason/excuse an instructor could have for what happened.

And as far as "ownership" of the platforms, we pay to dive that lake like anyone else and like I stated previously, we were there first and deserve as much courtesy as any other diver.

Try to put yourself in our position - or better yet, put the class in our position and imagine how they may have reacted if other divers collided with them, due to what can only be interpreted as lack of ability and judgement on the instructors part, and forced them off the platform in the middle of their skills.

I can see no good reason for why this happened.

Both parties are partially at fault. :-\

The instructor should have assessed the platform before decending. The instructor was wrong to chose that platform for training. No diveshops can claim any ownership rights to any platforms in public lakes.

It is very common at Square to attach a flag or surface marker to a training platform when you are using it for training. This is the standard operating procedure. You guys didn't attach a dive flag to the platform and did not tow one with you. I can understand how the instructor may have seen you but probably thought you were just passing through.

I think the rule is: attach a dive flag to a platform at Square to signify you are using it for training. Otherwise, fair game. :o

Groovekitty

That is my point - the instructor did in fact assess the situation before decending and still chose to descend anyways - there is no way he thought we were passing through since he saw us conducting drills - it took him a little bit to attach his flag - at which time he saw exactly what we were doing.

To that point, we were conducting a OOG drill when we started getting pummelled by his students, and the instroketor not only didn't ask if we were ok, but I would assert didn't even notice we were sharing gas at the time. What kind of example is he setting for these students???

As far as the rule you stated, this may be a rule of thumb, but I have never seen it posted anywhere or seen it addressed previously. This may be your assumption, not necessarily a rule, and like all things in life that are shared I figure it's first come first served (my assumption) - flag or not, this instructor failed to act courteously.

Again, I ask what if the situation had been reversed??????? And we interrupted a class and forced them off the platform????

I agree with Jason on this. Amber, I also agree with you that dive flag or not it wasn't nice or safe for that matter of the instructor to have his class descend on you if in fact he knew you were there. On the other hand I think had you tied a dive flag off at the platform the instructor may well have avoided your platform all together (as he should have) and went to the other one to begin with. That would have been the "right" thing to do by both parties in my opinion and should have eliminated this from occurring.
I believe that DIR does want you to follow the local laws. Including carrying a flag or attaching one to an object within 150'. Are you a stroke that took a class "DIR" and now thinks they know it all or are superior to others? There was only one law broke here groovy kitty and you were in that party.
It seems like some people here are hoping for some sort of DIR argument regarding flag use. I believe the DIR position is that the diver should use a flag only if absolutely required by law. I will be calling GUE in the morning to report this flagarent violation. Wink

Many of us have probably taken a dip in the pond without a flag before. I saw plenty of folks at Wazee this past weekend that left the dive flag at home. My point is that at Square lake divers should tow a dive flag when using the training platforms.

Will, the "stroke" comment was wrong. The fact is that these people are experienced divers and are certified DIR. You will have to dive with them sometime to judge whether they are superior or not.
My only coment would be "GET OVER IT" Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Al
Let's see, which seems easiest .... an instructor with a whole group of absolute newbie divers (in an excited state and breathing hard after their swim out to the platform for their check-out dive) moving them to yet another platform thirty feet away, OR, two very experienced divers simply frog kicking thirty feet over to another very familiar and totally adequate platform to finish their practice session, allowing the newbies to deal with their alraedy challenging first dive experience?
Seems to me that experienced divers should yield to and wherever possible contribute to the progress and enjoyment of those new to diving.
An instructor has plenty to worry about just getting 8 "wet eared" divers out to the platform. I'm sure he/she didn't see a flag and thought you were on a tour of the lake. When it's hunting season in minnesota, rifle hunters where blaze orange (fewest injururies), bow hunters wear camo(moderate injuries) and without a flag my friend, you were wearing a deer costume(guess). Also, a class can easily fit on 2 sides of a platform. How much room do 2 seasoned divers need? Every time you move a class of scuba-sprouts, it ruins clarity 30' in every direction of them. Your dive would have been alot worse! In short- THAT IS WHAT SQUARE LAKE IS ALL ABOUT!!! Have you ever run into this at any other lakes? Square is "The Teaching Tub"! You may encounter a class there from time to time :o
Jason
I am sure the instructor of the class was an experianced diver too, but yet she called him a stroke. I don't believe that DIR certifications are superior to the instructors.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7