MNScuba.com

Full Version: Freediver Course
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just finished up teaching my first PADI Freediver course last night and very pleased with how well everyone did. THey all greatly increased their breath hold times and last night most of them reached a depth of 55'!

We started out in about 65' of water, but our boat drifted in the wind to a shallower section of the lake- even with two anchors out! So, in the end our 55' depth limist was more imposed by the lake bottom than anyone's aquatic abilities. Wink
Actually, they all looked quite good coming up from their dives and had an easy 10'-20' more feet in them.

I have another group finishing up next week and can hardly wait to see what they will do!

Dive conditons around here have not been the best this past week due to all of the rain we have gotten. What was 35' of vis, two weeks ago, is now down to less than 10'. The lakes have risen 2' since the rain started and there are no wake rules in effect until the levels go back down.

This is getting me really excited for Freedive-A-palooza since I know now that there will be more people there than just Fred and me. 8)

Jon
How much did the students increase their depth from the beginning to the end of the course?

How long is the course?
More than doubled,

The course is 2 1/2 days. It's divided up between lecture and openwater training. It normally starts on a Firday night and goes through the weekend. I had some divers with special time constraints and was able to work around them. There's also a, short, final exam.

Jon
Hey Jon, Lucky you! Keep producing the freedivers.. maybe some will move this way someday. Pretty rewarding to take another person down to 60' for the first time.
I think we'll have a good turn out at the apalooza either way though..
Fred
What does the course cost and where is it held? Can I use any-old pair of fins/mask/snorkel? Oh yeah, what about thermal protection?
I think this could be very fun or very embarassing. :o

Any recomendations on what I could do to prepare for this class?

I probably have already started the most important part, getting in better physical shape. (Over the last 2 months I have lost 20lbs by changing my diet and walking.)

Quote:What does the course cost and where is it held? Can I use any-old pair of fins/mask/snorkel? Oh yeah, what about thermal protection?

**I'm curious what they're charging for the course too.. might have to start my own Wink ** any mask, fins, snorkel work but you can't believe the difference a good low volume mask, freediving specific fins can make** any wetsuit, no drysuit of course, but the stretchier the better so you can fill your lungs and move easily

Quote:Any recomendations on what I could do to prepare for this class?
I probably have already started the most important part, getting in better physical shape.

just holding your breath and learning a good technique to breath up is good. you might try holding your breath while walking on soft ground, that's a good excercise, maybe have someone beside you to catch you if your determined to push it that far. NO HYPERVENTILATING- it may cause you to black out without warning or very little warning. learn the frenzel technique of equalizing if what you're doing now is the valsalva. Being in good physical shape is nice but you don't have to be in any kinda super shape to hold your breath and dive under.

Fred
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, butr my computer is in the shop and I had to hop on a freinds.

The course costs $150 and that includes books and a C-card from PADI.

Any mask, snorkel and fins will do, but I have some long blade fins, and monofins, for you to try out during the course. Everyone got to try out lots of different fins duirng the last copurse and we had a wide variety of wetusits in use. The best suit, that you may already own, is a simple 3mm jumpsuit like many people use for diving in the islands, or teaching in the pool. No special freediving suits are needed, but are really warm if you own one!

To get ready for the class you can swim some laps in your snorkeling gear, with suit on if you get the chance. The idea is to get you as comfortable as possible in the water with your basic gear.

The best exercises to try are what Fred has already mentioned- Apnea walking on soft ground.

As always, make sure that you practice any water skills with an attentive buddy.

Jon