MNScuba.com

Full Version: Madeira Parking Temporarily Closed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The GLSPS just received a letter from the DNR informing us that they are finally putting in the parking lot for the diver access at the Madeira. Unfortunately they have to close the current parking area for around a month. Parking is prohibited on Highway 61. They believe it will be done in roughly a month, but as with all government work you really can't predict it. I posted the information on the GLSPS website along with a link to the Split Rock Park website. I also requested the DNR put the current status of the parking on the Split Rock Website so divers have a place to track it.
I have a master class dive i am doing on the madeira on the 12,13th of june. Is there somewhere else we are supposed to park then?
There is no other place to park other than at Split Rock State Park as far as I know and that's way too far away for hauling gear. Might want to line up a boat for the class unless they get the lot finished before then.
My impression is that there is no parking alternative for roughly the month of June. If you have a boat you could launch at Silver Bay. I can only give you the text of the letter:

Date: May 21, 2004
Dear Diving Enthusiast:

Please note that construction of a diver access parking lot near Gold Rock Point in Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is currently underway. We anticipate that this project will be completed relatively quickly, but are unsure of the exact completion date. It is likely that it will be finished within a month or so.

During the construction, the lot will not be available for parking. Parking along Highway 61 is not allowable or safe in that area. We ask for your cooperation in keeping use of the Gold Rock Point area to a minimum during the construction of the lot.

Once completed, the Gold Rock parking lot will provide safe parking and better diver access to the area. Please contact the park office when you wish to make use of the new lot.

Thank you.

Lisa Angelos, Assistant Park Manager

Are they going to improve the path down to the access? I think that is more important than improving the parking lot.
I hear ya on that. It would be awesome if they paved the path down to the shore. Then you could actually cart your gear down there. The trail is so rough now that you can only use a cart for maybe half way and then it gets too rough with the rocks and stuff.
I stopped by the Maderia Sat. to check it out for myself. They have the class 5 down and look ready for blacktop. The parking is moved towards the lake. I stepped it out and its only about 200ft from the lot the the top of the stairs.
I have not dove the Maderia from shore in sometime. I did not know there where stairs installed. I never thought it was all that bad getting down to the shore, except for the mud at the beginning. The stairs really must be a great help. Seen more then one person slip and fall.
Weather conditions over the weekend not good, strong east winds. I would guess 30mph and up to 40.
Al
A new lot will be great but what I am concerned about is the statement from Lisa Angelos, Assistant Park Manager:

"Please contact the park office when you wish to make use of the new lot."

Does this mean you can not just park there? Have to register? Have to PAY!! Sad Is this now part of the State Park? I thought it was in that funny nitch in the boundarys outside of the park...
Someone should suggest they pave the path while they already have the equipment there and everything torn up. Wink They usually make extra to make sure they don't run out. No sense in it going to waste. Wink
Al, nice catch. Now we probably have to pay a parking fee. I guess we could see that coming.
Pages: 1 2 3