MNScuba.com

Full Version: Some thoughts about Crosby diving.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wtdrm

Has anyone been up to Crosby lately? If you have you should have noticed the lack of ATV’s and dirt bike running around. This has made for a much nicer place to camp. There is not as much rebel-rousing and late night partying. It has been great.

The reason for this is because the state has taken it over. The have banned any off road type vehicles and all target shooting. I’m not kidding it has great camping. Almost deserted.

In talking with a park ranger he suggested that we divers should get organized and lobby for some of the things we would like to see. Number one, Keeping the off-roaders away. I’m not usually for government intervention of any type. However the groups of A.T.V. users that frequent the Crosby area pretty much make it an area that is unusable for family affairs.I know that the A.T.V’s have to run somewhere but not through our campsites at all hours of the night whooping and hollering. The Cuyuna Country campground is open and is nice. However it only uhas one dive-site and is not near as nice as having a campsite right nest to the dive site with 6-8 more sites within 10 minutes.
Not to mention it is expensive. They still do not have electric or showers available. However the do have drinking water available.

I also know that The ATV people are already organized and hold a pretty big lobby force. If we are interested we need to get organized and make our wishes known. I would suggest somebody talking to the Brainerd local shop to find out what we can do to help.
   Your comments please.
CJ
The wife and I were up there a couple of weeks ago and it was nice . We talked to one local who said that they were not done blocking roads, and they would be blocking all roads off in the near future.

I never got a chance to look into to see if this is true?? Anyone else hear anything like this??

Might be a good time to organize something.

Tim

wtdrm

Cuyuna Divers,

I have received many e-mails concerned about the DNR actions in the Cuyuna State Rec Area. I met with Steve Weber the head of the Rec area and have been briefed on what is happening. I will post more info on mnscuba.com and our website as soon as I have a minute to write up a synopsis. But in brief, have no fear - all is well in the Crosby Pits.

Sincerely,
Todd Matthies
Minnesota School of Diving
todd@mndiving.com