MNScuba.com

Full Version: Buckeye Pit/Canisteo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anybody dive these pits up north of Grand Rapids? I was up there this weekend diving and the visibility was pretty good (around 20ft) and the bottom terrain was quite unique. I am planning on another late season run up there (Oct/Nov) and wondered what to expect for visibility. ???

Chuck, I've never heard of these pits. I'll put it on my list of places to check out this summer. What are the depths like?
The pits are huge, and there is something for everyone from 30-350ft. It is obvious that they are not dove very often, we were the only divers there this weekend. If you could take a boat up it would open up quite a bit of opportunity, but we ended up using shore access.

I have a map downloaded from Terraserver (I believe), but the depth profiles from 1995 are all about 20ft shallower than actual depth, at one point in time the pits were separate but rising water levels joined them a few years ago. In fact the nearby town of Bovey is in danger of becoming a dive site if the lake keeps rising. ;D

We placed a cherub (Azarel patron saint of scuba divers and blue gills) on one of the submerged islands about 30ft deep. There are a number of walls, fences, a couch, and lots of unexplored possibilites. :o

I found out about the site from a dive buddy of mine who grew up in the area. He has family with land about 5 minutes from the site where we camp. If you want to join me for a trip up there I would be happy to have you along. Wink
Very cool. Thanks for the info. It's always good to hear about new dive sites. Smile
Here is a link to the pit Smile

Never heard of those pits, will have to check them out. I was just south of them diving in little trout and big trout this past weekend. up in the area 1-2 times a month. Great lakes and diving in that area. Vis in those was about 20' and the fish were out. I am very curious about those pits though.