MNScuba.com

Full Version: thermoclime and visibility?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I am new to diving this year but have been out quite a bit so far this year (11 dives). I say this because I am sure this is a dumb question for people that have been diving for years.

how does the thermoclime affect visibility. I was in square lake today and the water was very warm above the thermoclime and visibility was ok (10-15 feet)but when we dove down below 20 feet the water was freezing but the viz went down to almost nothing 5- feet maby? I have been doing most of my diving in the Detroit lakes area so far and the water is still cold, but the vis has been great. Just wondering if there is a relationship.

Thanks

Doug
It kinda depends on the lake, the minerals and decay in the lake. In Lake Wazee, 100 feet down, it's crystal clear but in Crosby, you will probably run into a black cloud of floating crap. Go to another pit in Crosby and you may hit that cloud at 60' or no clouding at all. Just kinda depends on the lakes disposition I guess :-\

Intesting enough: The last 5 lakes I have been in (that were NOT Square Lake ...) 3 of them had good viz above the thermocline and terrible vis below it. The other two had bad viz above the thermo and really good viz below it. So yes , it just depends on the lake , the conditions, time of year and the number of Jet Ski's out on the lake... Tongue

Jean Smile
wazzup troy from class ;D
Wow Troy, it didn't take you too long to sign up on mnscuba.
You must have started typing before tou even got out of your wetsuit today Big Grin Catch you later, Jeff.