MNScuba.com

Full Version: Green Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to plan a day trip to Green Lake to dive the plane.

Does anybody have the GPS corrdinates?
I was just at Green Lake this past weekend, visiting my in-laws, & they said the local paper indicated in a recent article that the plane has been pulled >Sad

Too bad, cuz the vis is the best I've seen it in a long time.
This was the last article I could find in the Wilmar Paper about the plane. They say others are looking at raising the plane but I don't think that will happen for a while.

Investigation of airplane found in Green Lake complete
Friday, July 16, 2004

By Peter Cox, Staff Writer

WILLMAR -- It appears Kandiyohi County will no longer have anything to do with the plane found at the bottom of Green Lake in Spicer.

According to Kandiyohi Co-unty Attorney Boyd Beccue, there are no more investigations being done by or being protected by any local agencies.

“Further inquiries concerning the status of the aircraft or salvage rights should be directed to the state and federal agencies concerned,” Beccue wrote in a news release Thursday.

The Cessna L-19 “Birddog” was found July 4th by a Willmar fisherman. It is said to be in good shape and is believed to be the plane that was flown by Capt. Richard Carey, a Minnesota National Guard member who lived in Willmar. The plane had crashed in October 1958.

Carey, 36, had gone down in dense fog after having reported that he only had about three minutes of fuel remaining and had “hit something.’’ His body was recovered in the lake two weeks after the crash.

After it was found, several state and national agencies were given an opportunity to investigate and inspect the crash.

The FAA, the Army Safety Center and the Minnesota Army National Guard have all told the Kandiyohi County Attorney’s office that there won’t be any further investigations, according to Beccue.

Because it is no longer seen as an active investigation site, the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Department will no longer be sealing the crash site off.

But that doesn’t mean the plane is up for grabs.

Before any salvaging can be done, there are several levels of bureaucracy that need to be satisfied.

According to Lt. Col. John Brossart, Staff Judge Advocate for the Minnesota National Guard, the plane is still considered government property.

“When we get property from the U.S. government, we ultimately have to return it to them or account for it,” Brossart said. The plane, which had been taken off their books, now must be accounted for.

The state National Guard’s Defense Reutilization Management office in Duluth will be determining whether the plane will be salvaged by the military.

Calls to the Duluth office of the Defense Reutilization Management office were not returned.

Beccue, who flew on the same kind of plane during flight school in the military, said the plane likely doesn’t have much the military would be interested in.

If the military does not take the plane the state will have say over salvaging rights.

“The Minnesota Department of Administration had advised that, under Minnesota law, the aircraft is located on state property, a lake bottom, and therefore may not be salvaged without the permission of the Minnesota Department of Administration,” he said in the press release.

Officials with the Minnesota Department of Administration were unavailable for comment.

In an earlier interview with Wayne Walaski with the DOA, if property is recovered with the state’s consent, the law requires that it be placed for sale at public auction by the state.

“People should be careful about taking pieces of the aircraft or trying to recover the aircraft,” Beccue said.

Beccue said people as far away as Alabama have shown interest in the plane, but said there is some interest locally as well.

Craig Fladeboe, who was involved in finding the plane, was unavailable for comment Thursday night.

Some locals are hoping the plane will be restored and displayed locally, but the most obvious possibilities aren’t shown interest.

Beccue said the county historical society wouldn’t be able to afford to recoup the plane.