MNScuba.com

Full Version: Breath hold training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys,

Can you recommend some practice exercises that a person could do to increase their breath hold time?

How long, in your opinion, should a reasonably fit person be able to hold their breath w/o extensive training?

Thanks
Inhale Statics

If you don't have a buddy you can do 'dry statics' on the couch/ bed/ floor. Don't even think about doing it in a pool with out someone, trained in freediving, standing right next to you- and life guards DON'T count.

OK, no that the legal disclaimer is out of the way, you can start by lying on the floor and doing a couple of minutes of yoga breath- exhale twice the length of the inhale while breathing through the stomach. Take one final breath, inhaling through stomach and then chest. When you pack in as much air as you can, swallow- this relieves pressure on the throat. Close your eyes and dream away.

When you start to feel a contraction, a small spasam in your gut that signals the urge to breath, start counting them. You should be able to handle at least 5 contractions on your first attempt.

Exhale, and then start to breath normal again for a few minutes. Start your yoga breath up again for another 2 minutes and repeat.

You will find that each time you do this you can hold your breath a little longer and tolerate more contractions. I would suggest doing this at least 3-4 times per session. Do 2-3 sessions a week, with time off in between, and you should be able to hit 3 minutes pretty easily.

If you try this and want to do more I can give you more details later on. A couple of things will make this easier. First, don't try to hold your breath after eating dinner, wait at least 2-4 hours before your statics- digestion concentrates too much blood in the gut and your times will be short. Second, try and do this in a cool place as you will heat up once the contractions start.

As you can tell this will take some time to do. When I was practicing statics every day I needed between 45-50 minutes a day to set aside for them. Now I do other things instead.

Exhale Statics

If your looking to improve your breath hold for SUCBA diving I think Exhale Statics are the way to go. They take a LOT less time and will really build up your confidence in an O.O.A. emergency.

Start out the same way, slow yoga breathing, but on the last exhale try and force out as much air as you can. Then, hold it for as long as you can. Don't expect to go much past 20-30 seconds on the first try- and never do this in a pool even if you have a buddy. You can do a series of 6-8 in no time at all. I have been able to build up to a 2 minute exhale static on a good day.

The reason I like these for scuba divng is because I rig my gear in a DIR fashion- meaning I donate my primary from my mouth. I, now, KNOW that I can hand off my regulator after a full exhale and still have plenty of air left in my system to take care of my buddy first and then think about going for my back-up. Even if you don't donate your primary, it's still nice to know you can handle having your regulator ripped out and have lots of time to deal with the situation before you get out of breath.

There are lots of other things to try, like regimented 02 and C02 tables that you swithc off on every other day, but this should be enough to get you going.

Just make sure you ALWAYS have a buddy anytime you try to do any breath holding in the water- and swimming pools have proven to be the most dangerous place of all. Doing dry statics while lying on the floor insure that you can't fall down if you push yourself too far. Wink

Jon
hey ghosch, are you asking because you're interested in giving freediving a go or just curious?
Just by simply holding your breath you'll increase your times too.. you get more used to dealing with the urge to breath and that results in being more relaxed during the breath hold. 1st breath holds will be shorter than the later breath holds.
I'm pretty much a die-hard SCUBA (CCUBA as the case may be) fan, but there are a couple of reasons I think it makes sense to improve free diving/breath hold skills.

One is that being more comfortable not breathing gives you a better ability to control yourself in emergency situations. Switching to OC bailout for example, without panicking.

The second is that I have been on a lot of trips where it would be nice to do some snorkeling and free-diving during surface intervals, no-fly days, etc.

Thanks for the detailed post, I'll definetly practice!
....nice to do some snorkeling and free-diving during surface intervals....

This is a BIG no-no!
You can bend yourself many times over by mixing in Freediving after a scuba dive.
The other way around, freedive first and then scuba, is fine. Freediving on the last day of a trip is also fine.

There have been plenty of people bent going freedivng after a day of diving.

Everything else you said I agree with 100%.

Jon
Now that you mention that, it does make sense, and I guess I do remember being warned of that in OW training. Dive down, recompress those bubbles your lungs are filtering out, get them into the blood stream, come back up...

Once again, thanks for the info, I especially agree that working on exhale statics makes a lot of sense for SCUBA. And you were right, about 20 seconds is all I can do right now.

The key to statics is doing at least 6, or more, in a row each time you try them- with rest time inbetween each one. It takes a good 20 minutes for some of the other dive reflexes to kick in to get really long breath holds going.

People often associate the "dive reflex" with slowing of the heart rate- bradycardia. That's only a small part of it. After about 20-30 minutes of freediving the hydrostatic pressure actually 'squeezes' out red blood cells form your spleen and can add up to 20% more RBC supply to your system= longer breath holds.

Jon
I tried this last night. I was getting 2.5 min of breath hold befor I reread the post and relized not to do it right after eating I will have to try later and see if things improve

If I could get 2.5 min, no matter when, I would be giddy with Joy! :-)
I found a great place to train.

I hade to go to the city sewer plant today :-X
great insperation to not inhale ;D
Pages: 1 2