MNScuba.com

Full Version: Thinking about learning to scuba
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have always been intrigued and am thinking about taking the "dive" and learning to scuba this year.

I am taking a cruise in March 2005 and thought it would be wonderful to scuba dive at one of our stops.

Question for you all - do you recommend that I do a "resort dive" to see how I like it? If I like it, then I could get certified. Or do you think I should take the classes, get certified, and then dive. The money for the class is not an issue, so even if I do get certified and end up not liking it after my cruise, I am not worried that I will have wasted the money.

I guess I want to know whether a "resort dive" is anything like the real thing or whether I will have a better experience if I get certified first.

thanks for your input!
Jaime
I would suggest a resort dive to see if you like it. This sport isnt for everyone, and some people dont dive past their certification dives - which is strange to me? Why take the whole course then, its not like you are respected as a diver if you haven't dove but once in 20 yrs kind of thing. Take the resort dive if you want to plan on seeing a reef while you dive, or take a trial pool dive if you just want to see what its like.
Just an opinion.

Good luck, hope you enjoy diving!
I think doing a resort dive on your cruise would be the ticket.. but I know those dives can vary. My wife did a resort dive outta a small shop south of play del carmen, mx that was fantastic.. 51' max depth, nice easy drift dive, 60 minutes or more for total underwater time. She'd never scuba'd before either. (she had done an in the pool deal at a resort but it was worthless.. stayed in the shallow end, never even got to see if she could equalize her ears). I'd say.. do the resort dive, and hope you get a good one, preferably one on one or two on one.
Chances are that if you go out into the cold minnesota waters.. even if they are clearing up right now.. you may not be so fired up about diving on your trip. There is no comparison! OF COURSE.. if you learn to dive here.. you can dive anywhere! Really show those warm, clear water wuses.. Wink
An after thought... what about freediving? ok ok snorkeling? I've been to the carribean a bunch of times and still have yet to ever scuba there.. ' course, I'm probably not the norm :Smile
Personally, I think you should go the other route. Get certified here....It will make you alot more comfortable when you go on your trip. I am not a fan of Resort dives, and am suprised that one took a first timer to 50ft. But honestly..as much as i love Mexico, it doesnt surprise me. One DM took my sister in law to 95ft on her 3rd checkout dive.
I think its best to start diving in a cold, low viz environment. Once you can dive here, you can dive anywhere! Its easier to think to oneself.....it can only get better from here on...rather than.....Well, this is the best i will ever get, it only gets worse from here.....I just think that if you trained in the tropics with 100ft viz and 80deg water, you are far less apt to div in 10ft viz and 45deg water...and if you dont.....you would be missing a whole bunch of great diving..

G/L
Deano
I would have to agree with taking the course here. The cost of the certification in MN is not an issue. I would prefer to have the certification when I go to the ocean, this would give you the confidence and make the dive more enjoyable.

I also agree that if you can dive here you have a great advantage over other divers who have never dived our type of conditions. ;D
okay.........I appreciate both views on this. I'm leaning towards getting certified before hand. May as well jump right into this!!!

Where would you suggest I attend class. I am not familiar with any of the dive shops in the Twin Cities and so would not know a good one from a not so good one.

thanks,
Jaime
Oh! Oh! You may wish you had not asked that question. It's not the shop that is important, it is the instructor. Do you know anyone who dives? If so, ask them about their experiences. Maybe someone on this board who has been certified in the past year could send you a private e-mail commenting on their instruction.
Take a look at the dive shop listing on this website. Then visit the two nearest dive shops. Check out some of the recommendations on the Local Dive Shops board.

Jaime,

I too am going on a cruise the end of February. This will be my first cruise. I was looking at doing the resort dive, but was convinced to obtain my OWC before I go on my cruise. As a result, I'm doing my OW Certification in September through a local dive shop (LDS).

At , many divers will recommend that you take your OWC especially if money is not an issue. With the OWC, you can easily join an excursion or check in with a dive shop and not worry about the additional time needed to learn the basics.

On my cruise, I'll be visiting Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize & Cozumel. I'm planning on diving in the Grand Caymans with the sting rays. I'll also dive in Belize (2nd largest barrier reef & lots of Atolls) and Cozumel.

Pam

She was with 2 instructors and one held her hand the whole time except for a short time when they handed her a puffer fish.. which the next day bit off a good portion of the instructors wife's finger :o. They ran her bc and guided her all the way.. I was grateful that they did such a good dive with her as she is a fish underwater and would be freediving right along with me except she can't equalize her left ear on a breath hold.
Quote:I think its best to start diving in a cold, low viz environment. Once you can dive here, you can dive anywhere! Its easier to think to oneself.....it can only get better from here on...rather than.....Well, this is the best i will ever get, it only gets worse from here.....I just think that if you trained in the tropics with 100ft viz and 80deg water, you are far less apt to div in 10ft viz and 45deg water...and if you dont.....you would be missing a whole bunch of great diving..
G/L
Deano
I sure agree with with that!

Pages: 1 2