MNScuba.com

Full Version: Simple Questions from new diver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and don't live in MN but you guys and gals really seem to have your SCUBA stuff together and i'm hoping you can answer a few beginner questions. First, i am recently certified open water and want to go on a night dive when i'm down in the Caymans next month. Do i need additional training to do this for the first time or can i just go, advise the DM of my situation and get a signature from my DM after completion of the dive toward my Adventure Diver Cert? PADI is not very clear about this on their website.

Second, I'm thinking of buying some used equipment, but only if i can be sure that my shop in CT is qualified/certafied to check it out and gaurantee that it is in sastifactory condition before diving. What certification should i be looking for?

Third, and final, how did i miss the joy of diving for so long? What a truly great sport! Thanks in advance,

John B
first welcome to MNscuba.

I am sorry I cannot speek to PADI requirments but I'm sure somone will soon.

I dive with mostly used gear. I checked with local diveshops to see what brands they are autherized to service. you can also check out the mfg. website for local dealers/service centers.
depending on the type of equipment and the price you may try to negoiate with the seller. I have bought equip. conditional on it passing an inspection that I pay for. If the equipment is good your ready to go if it is bad or needs alot of work you are out the cost of the service check but not the price of equipment.
Welcome,

I would look at new equipment first, you may find that the price is not much more then used. if you buy quality items they will last a long time.

;D
I don't think you really necessarily need special training to do a night dive in my opinion but I wouldn't do it if you are not real comfortable in the water with your buoyancy and diving skills etc. If you are comfortable in the water and have some daylight dives under your belt before doing a night dive then you should be alright. Personally I did my first night dive before I ever took an advanced class which by the way covers night dives and I was fine. The level of comfort and skills you have as a diver play a key role in the safety and enjoyment you'll experience doing a night dive. Definately let the Divemaster know your lack of experience doing night dives before making the dive so that they can keep an eye on you a little closer. Good Luck, night dives are a lot of fun.
Weldome to diving!! welcome to mnscuba

I wouldnt worry too much about the night dive. Make sure you let the DM know...You will most likely not do a dive deeper than 40ft for a night dive. In most cases in the tropics, you dont really need a light to see. the moon usually takes care of that. Do take one though as they are used for helping signal and for others to easily see you..including the capt on the boat. They are used to having newer divers in the water. The easiest way to know if yhour Equipment if serviceable by your LDC is to ask them what they service. I would imagine that you plan to dive at home as well, so i would be looking for something in the area of cold water regs...Used is ok, but you should buy it on contingency..of inspection..this will make it hard to purchase on Ebay, but you can usually find a shop on ebay that will guarantee their product..
G/L and welcome to the wonderful world of diving
Deano
Safe diving practices by all the agencies recommend that you do the night divers coarse or do it at least as an elective in the AOW course. There are even some operaters out there that might require that you are night trained (guess what we'll do it for you) I have yet found an operater in the seven courners of the earth that let you go night diving without a light and at least a chem stick tied to your first stage (guess what we'll rent you that too)
Check out your local dive shops and support them with out your support eventually they will disappear.
Have fun be safe and welcome to the site
one more thing I forgot was a great place to get good used gear is your local dive shops rental gear at the end of the season. Wink
Regarding night diving in the tropics, my husband, daughter and I did a night dive in Cozumel this past spring and moon or no, having a light was both mandatory by the DM as well as needed. We'd never do a night dive without each of us having a light. The dive shop rented lights for those who didn't have any. We had a wonderful dive and saw so many different creatures from what we'd seen during the day. It was really GREAT!! ;D We all had gotten our advanced certification the summer before which included a night dive, so we were set.
Your DM on your trip would have to also be current Instructor as well to be able to sign you off for the night dive, for it to be credited toward your Advanced Certification. Divemasters themsleves are not qualified to do this unless they are also an Instructor.

Hi,

Night dives are awesome, here's a few things I always consider:

Bring a light - you have to be able to read your gauges!

Have a good whistle (always) so if you drop your only light you have another means of signaling in the dark.

Bring a few (cylume?) light sticks for you and your dive buddy(s). They are a great locational device and are quite cheap.

Our instructor used a flashing strobe on his tank so the rest of the group could find him and he counted divers by the light sticks.

If gloves are allowed you might want them on the night dive just in case you bump into something in he dark. The same goes for wearing a full wetsuit vs shortie or no suit at all.

Be prepared to be colder than normal. For some, a night dive is their 3rd or 4th dive of the day. Combine that with no sun, a breeze and some people can get downright cold, especially when they exit the water and the ride back.

Get a copy of the PADI "Adventures In Diving" book and read the night diving section. If you are planning on doing some of the PADI speciality courses or AOW you will need this book. A good investment (covers about 13 specialities including night dives, boat dive, etc).

Always let the Dive Master / Instructor know in advance if you don't feel entirely comfortable with the dive. Sometimes the hardest thing for divers is to express concern or call a dive.

Make sure you are comfortable with your dive buddy and their level of experience. Perhaps a well informed Dive Master will buddy you with someone more experienced if they feel it is necessary.

Pay attention during the pre-dive brief/checkout since it will be different than a normal daylight dive briefing (ie discussing specific light signals, entry/exit in the dark, etc).
Pages: 1 2 3