MNScuba.com

Full Version: Mask & Hood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you wear your mask strap under your hood or over it. Currently I wear mine over it but am considering wearing it under. Any comments? Experiences?
I'm trying to picture how you would wear your mask strap under your hood. The next question is, why?
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear the mask strap under the hood. The only way I can see it possible is if you had an attached hood and could pull the hood over the strap. It would be difficult to pull the hood over the mask with a normal hood. Also wearing the strap under the hood would compromise the seal somewhat and let more water in since the hood won't seal to your face as well. Doesn't make much sense to me I guess. ???

I've worn my mask under the hood before. It's done when diving in a strong current (like in a river). I've made dives in the St Clair river right where it starts flowing out of Lake Huron. The current rips along at about 5 knots & if you turn your head wrong while hanging on to one of the wrecks that are there, you can have your mask ripped off! Thus, you wear it under your hood.

Jeff Leech

Put hood on, lower it around your neck. Put mask on. Put hood back on again, over the mask strap. Why? Not only have I been diving in swift currents, but another diver could flick it off with his/her fin. Although I carry a spare mask, the thought of being blinded while on a deep dive is not one I relish.

I don't think wearing it under a hood would compromise the seal any??? I'll try it this weekend at Square Lk.
Interesting. The high current scenario never came to mind...probably cuz I've never dove in a high current situation. Makes sense to wear it under the hood in that instance then. Wink

Put hood on, lower it around your neck. Put mask on. Put hood back on again, over the mask strap. Why? Not only have I been diving in swift currents, but another diver could flick it off with his/her fin. Although I carry a spare mask, the thought of being blinded while on a deep dive is not one I relish.

I don't think wearing it under a hood would compromise the seal any??? I'll try it this weekend at Square Lk.
[/quote]

I think what Lkunze was refering to was compromising the seal of the hood around your face, not the mask seal. I can see where it would allow more cold water to circulate throughout the hood.
I've been in some strong currents, but not in cold water. How about wearing two hoods? One to seal against your face and the second to keep your mask in place.

I never noticed a problem with sealing wearing the mask under the hood. The opening of the hood has to clear the mask either way. I guess the mask strap could potentially cause a lessor seal, but I never noticed. I was in mid 50 degree water.

Jeff

This could easily be done with an Ice Cap by Henderson. I wear one virtually every dive. It not only reduces water circulation it seals up to my mask better than my face Tongue
I do usually sport some degree of facial hair though Wink

There is a break-in period when it can be uncomfortable so don't try it for the first time in a deco situation, but you can stretch it out ahead of time (like on a soccer ball) to loosen it up.

CN3
Pages: 1 2