MNScuba.com

Full Version: Transporting tanks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering about some kind of rig to hold 4 or so tanks when heading out to go diving. I have a pickup, and have been putting them in the cab, which is pretty inconvenient.

Any suggestions?
There's probably many options here. I took a couple of 2 x 6's and cut 90 degree V-notches about 2/3 the depth of the board and spaced 9"-10" apart along the length. With notches facing upward and aligned, I spaced the 2 x's parallel and 19" apart with other 2 x's at the ends and all screwed together at the corners creating a rectangular frame.
I found laying tanks with the valve neck in the V-notch kept the tank from sliding length wise of the tank. Mine holds two tanks. I've added a third tank by just laying on the other two.

Dan
Good idea about sliding lengthwise. I was thinking of rubber tubing in the notches.

How much pressure builds up if the tanks are in the sun? Has anyone had a disc burst? Just wondering if it's an immediate blowout, or an extended leak.

Also, I just bought an aluminum 80. It's full right now, and I'm not sure I'll be using it this year, since the weather is growing colder, and I only have a wetsuit. Will the air go bad if I leave it? Or should I vent it down to 500 psi or so?
One thing I saw was PVC pipe with ends on one end and six of them fastened together this keeps direct sun off.
With direct sun you can get a build enough to blow the disc
The air won't go bad in an aluminum over the winter
Don't bleed down to 500 psi either empty the tank and pull the valve and put the shipping plug in, but be aware of your visual date if it is due before you use the tank no problem, but if not a completely empty tank will need to be visualed before filling.
Store the tank full is best as if in the unlikely event you were to have a fire the pressure will build and the disc will blow in a tank with 500 psi the aluminum will degrade (170 degrees) before the disc blows. This could end in a rupture which could injure a fireman. It has happened
tridnet makes tank holders that you can clip together and screw down to a small sheet of plywood or a couple of 2x6's..they have little bungies on them that work for a while...it works well..i have used it on my boat to store customers tanks. in my truck, i just used two 1x4's and two 2x4's made a rectangle frame and cut out v notches in them..mine holds 4 tanks..it took me about 20 minutes to make and still works great..i did not, but you could always screw in an eye bolt on each corner and use two bungies to hold the tanks in place....if need me, i can sell you these very complex plans for say.....$59.99 :Smile or not....
g/l
deano
Would you accept a dollar two ninety eight? ;D
what an insult!!!! I will now accept nothing shy of one Godzillion dollars... :o..I am told by my 5 year old that this is a ton of money
Owning one more tank would solve the problem. I believe I can lay 5 - 80's side by side across the back of my truck box. No rolling around, nothing. I occasionally have transported 18 tanks a fairly good distance with no problem with tanks moving. I find that it is more of a problem when dealing with just a few tanks.

Best solution? Purchase a couple sets of steel doubles, no rolling with them.