MNScuba.com

Full Version: Shore Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, one more newbie question:

I have seen some mentions of shore diving. A few resorts offer “unlimited shore diving” – for instance:

What are the restrictions concerning these types of dives? Are you allowed to dive solo? What is the maximum depth/distance from shore that you are allowed? Is a dive buddy required?

-lprynne

The shore dives will follow standard open water no decompression limits.

I am aware of only one shore dive site in Cozumel. The dive is fine for getting wet and playing with gear. Not much else to see. Although sometimes it is fun to just hang out at a shallow reef head and watch all the little critters. Beware of boats though. You need a dive flag.

I would not venture too far from shore. You will quickly find yourself in major boating lanes. Max depth is probably less than 25ft.

Some shops may let you dive solo. If you are a newbie I would not consider this. I really enjoy diving the ocean with a buddy. My buddy always seems to point out cool stuff I would have missed during the dive.
To piggyback Jason's reply; there are currents in Coz, as well. With that in mind you may not be able to exit the same place as entering. And if you are renting equipment down there, well, another reason not to dive solo.
It would be in your best interest to dive with someone who knows about shore diving in Coz.
Thanks for the replies. The shore diving appeals to me because this is about the only type of diving that my girlfriend would be interested in. I'm trying to get her to get certified. She did a resort dive on a trip to French Polynesia and loved it, but she is deadly afraid of deep water (30 feet is about as deep as she would like to dive) and gets seasick very easily. On the other hand, she hates being a "dive widow".

I'm not comfortable enough to attempt to dive without a buddy. This would be something that we could do together and she would feel less anxiety. Hopefully the time she spends in the water, the more likely she will be to do other types of diving.

Thanks again.
She would need to be certified to rent the equiptment, and get air fills even if it is included in your hotel package, would she not?

I would have concerns about taking her diving if she has not taken the real course. I also started on a resort course, and I feel that they thaught me enought to be dangerous.

Just my thoughts

Doug
I'm sure you could find a dive operation that would be willing to take certified divers to a couple shallow dive locations. Otherwise you can always just snorkel. Wink
I was down in Cozumel Feb/Mar 2003 and did three shore dives from 'Dive Paradise' dive shop, located directly across the street from 'Plaza Las Glorias' hotel (which, from the website, is currently under restoration).

They had restrictions as to where you could go but it wasn't reinforced! They didn't require a dive flag, there wasn't too much boat traffic (only in the morning to pick up divers and the return traffic), and the current was negligible (which is not to say that it couldn't change).

On one 90 min. dive, we saw green eels resting lazily in turtle grass, puffer fish, sea horses .... it was my most relaxing dive to date! You can also night dive, along the shoreline there is amazing rock formations and some wildlife (and 'Dive Paradise' does rent lights, for about $8).

Wherever you shore dive, though, make sure you have a compass and are competent at navigation, especially if you do a night dive!

Oh, and none of the dives where deeper than 25 ft.

Sorry. I didn't make it clear that she would get certified before we do any diving together. Right now she doesn't want to get certified because there would be no point in it as she gets seasick easily and is scared of "deep water". The lure of shore diving would give her a "reason" to get certified. Otherwise she could save a few hundred dollars and just continue to do resort dives.

-lprynne

Thanks for the post. This sounds great because I'm primarily interested in u/w photography and a long, mellow shore dive interests me more than a deep dive.

You make a good point about the compass. Thanks.

I would certainly recommend shore diving in Cozumel. ;D There are a number of fine places to go. Easy access for entry and exit points can be found at many hotels and dive shops.

A couple of points to consider overall:

Currents in Cozumel can be strong and may change significantly during a dive. :o Unless you have planned for a different exit point always begin your dive swimming INTO the current. Consider getting a drift diving specialty rating from the pros in Cozumel while you're there (when in Rome...).

The best access points will be ladders off piers or sand slopes at dive shops and hotels. When going in, or planning an exit point, at a different location carefully inspect it. The ironshore can be very challenging. Longspined sea urchins are really something you don't want to step on. :'( Delicate marine growths next to the shore are easily damaged, as are you, by touching or stepping on them (DON’T). >Sad

Use a dive flag!! If you try a night dive make sure to use a lit one. Boat traffic is a very real hazard. Keep a short fairly taught line to your flag so that it does not touch any of the coral heads.

Be sure to get out on some of the boat dives. The reefs of Cozumel are not to be missed (just ask Jacques Cousteau). Unbelievable, spectacular, ;D ;D ;Dyou will run out of adjectives! Don't like deep dives, no problem! There are a number of wonderful shallow reefs (my personal favorite would be Columbia Shallows). You’ll see a greater variety of fish at the shallow reefs and you’ll have better light for underwater photography.

Shore diving has a couple of advantages that should really appeal to you. Shore diving will allow you to take your time. On a drift dive from a boat you MUST keep up with the dive master or you WILL be separated by the current. Considering almost all operators use live boats that can pose additional problems when surfacing. When shore diving you can take the fifteen or twenty minutes watching a single coral outcropping and get to see an incredible entire ecosystem contained in one small area (its really COOL!). For taking photos you’ll want to be able to take time to compose your shots, when shore diving you’ve got the time.

My favorite place to shore dive would be the reef just north of the southern cruise ship pier. This is located between Del Mar divers and Papa Hogg’s. Either place will rent you tanks or an unlimited shorediving package. The reef has lots and lots of coral heads and a wide variety of fish. The depth is fairly shallow at a max depth of about 23 feet.

My second favorite would be down the road a piece off a little sea side restaurant and is called Dzul Ha. Some of the best coral at this location is actually right against the shoreline north of the restaurant (nice Elkhorn coral.) Have seen “herds” ( they just remind me too much of fishlike cows) of huge parrotfish here grazing in about 25 feet of water.

I’ve also had great dives right along the ironshore shoreline both off of the hotel Plaza Las Glorias and farther north just south of the Coral Princess hotel and the boat harbor. A wonderful variety of fish can be found hidden right along the shoreline wall. These dives may vary from 5 to 15 feet. The current is often less of a concern right along the shore, but you must be careful if the swells are large that you are not pushed up against the coral. This can be a great start for a less experienced night diver. You can stay close to your entry/exit point and follow the wall.

Here is a link to a site where I’ve downloaded a few photos from these shore dives.

Pages: 1 2