MNScuba.com

Full Version: Many point scout camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
because of the death last year Viking councel is thinking of safer ways to put in the in water equipment. One thought is haveing divers join the work partys before and after the camp season. I am meeting with the rest of the camp committee next week and wanted to know if anyone would be intrested in helping on these weekends. it would be volenteer basis I could offer food, and tent and a ride. the work is shallow (aprox. 15-20 feet) I used to be one of the kids that free dove and connected the cables.
this is just a discusion at this point as I need to talk to the committee but wanted to know that I could get the divers when we need them.

Jim (aka mnlakediver)

Champlin teen drowns at scout camp

by Kathleen Ostroot

Bradley James Amundson, 16, of Champlin, reportedly drowned while removing equipment at a scout camp on Many Point Lake in Becker County.

The sheriff's department said the camp was performing routine end-of-the-summer season work Saturday, Aug. 21. Bradley was an employee at the camp and went under the water while he and others were removing the swimming area docks and rafts as they were preparing to close the camp for the season.

Witnesses told police that Bradley and two girls were in the water securing some anchor cables together from the swimming raft before letting them sink to the bottom. Many other people were standing on shore, witnesses told police. The other workers told police that they were having difficulty connecting the cables and they became exhausted.

Authorities said Bradley was submerged for about seven minutes before others in the group recovered him in 12 feet of water and started performing resuscitation.

The sheriff's department was called around 6:40 p.m. Saturday. Amundson was resuscitated and flown by helicopter to St. Cloud Hospital, where he later died.

Many Point Lake is about 25 miles northeast of Detroit Lakes. Funeral services were conducted Friday, Aug. 27.

Bradley is the son of Bruce and Joni Amundson of Champlin. His sister Johanna also works at the camp.

Kathy Patterson, of Sioux Falls, S.D., whose 7-year-old daughter went to Many Point this summer, recalls meeting Brad.

"We were told that he came to help his sister move into her quarters as a returning staff member of the Family Camp section of Many Point, and was offered a position for the summer," she said

Patterson said her daughter missed her older brother, who was up in the Boy Scout section of the camp along with her father, who was an assistant leader for Troop 100.

"Brad helped my daughter adjust to being away from family by telling her he personally was happy she was around, and acting interested in her, and I can imagine, all the other kids he helped this way," said Patterson.

Patterson said Brad's death is Champlin's loss and heaven's gain: "He will be remembered for the way he helped many children enjoy their week at camp."

keep up posted on what they want to do, I am usually up in that area in the spring and fall opening and closing the cabin and would be happy to help.

Doug
I would sure be willing to help out with this. Can't get a better group to help out than the boy scouts!
Add me to the list. I'd be glade to help.

Tim
If I'm not working, I"ll be there. Just let me know when.
As a former Scout I too would love to be added to the list if this idea goes forward.
Sure, let everyone know when. If I am not working, I'll be there.

Chris
I met with the camping commity last night and we may only need divers this spring. we are looking into a different way to secure the water equipment that can be accessed from the serfus but we will need to first update the anker system. they were very intrested in haveing help this spring. I will update when we set a date.
again, sounds like a good time post up when the time comes and let us know when you need us.

Doug
any info on this yet?

Doug
Pages: 1 2 3