MNScuba.com

Full Version: Tipping on a dive boat?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the proper tipping etiquette on a dive boat, who and how much?
Generally I will tip 10-15%. Usually I will hand the tip to the boat captain at the end of the day or week.
For our travel clients, we recommend tipping approx. $5.00 per dive per diver if the service was good, less if the service was fair. We also recommend that they should not tip if the service was dangerous, (and tell someone you want a different Divemaster the next day). In most destinations the Divemaster is supposed to handle the tips and then split it up with the Captain and boat crew. Many times the dive shop or operation also gets a percentage. This procedure is often very strictly enforced although it is best to check with the dive shop or operation you are booking with. If you suspect that someone is being cut out of the equation, there is nothing wrong with splitting it up yourself and tipping everyone individually. You may inadvertantly miss someone (like the kid who carries the gear or fills tanks), so the best idea is to go along with the system that's in place. As always it's best to ask ahead of time.
After working on dive boats and on liveaboards I'd say,,,on a dayboat 10-15 % of a usual $35 two tank dive would only be $5 total tip for the day. I tell my students that the accepted (and expected) tip should be $5 per tank if given adequet service, extra if the DM supplies snacks and maybe a golden pineapple, (believe me when I say that most dive shops do NOT pay for those extra goodies offered). If you were given extra service such as a quick gear fix or loan when your fin strap broke and you were sans save a dive kit, you should be thinking along the lines of a $20 spot for saving your dives. It shouldnt matter who you give it to when tipping,,just do it in the open so that others see you do it.
On liveaboards the 10-15% rule works well
I followed the suggestions of this thread when I went to the keys, I tipped $10 a trip and every one seemed happy.

Doug
Not that I have a ton of experience with this, but, $5 per tank seems to be a general concensus. And, tipping after each boat trip would be best. Ex., I don't always have the same DM/crew from day to day, so tipping at the end of week may not get in to the right hands. A live-a-board may be totally different and I would hope, for simplicity, that tipping at the end is normal.

Dan