MNScuba.com

Full Version: Padi Open water task list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife will be starting her open water class locally soon and I was hoping to find a list of the tasks she will need to perform during this class. I have searched the internet but cannot find any list like this.

Please email any list you may have to rosgood@mn.rr.com

Thanks
if she has not already gotten her ow book she will need to read this ahead of time. after each section you will find a list of tasks that will be performed.  I will go and find my book and post up later, but if you have the book already you can find them in there.

Doug
Here is a condensed list that I pulled out of the book with out re-writing the whole thing word for word…too long.

Keep in mind I am no instructor and am just taking info from the GO DIVE book I am sure that we have many qualified instructors that will be giving a better overview of the skills and it will vary by cert organization…this is PADI

Pool skills: 

Confined water dive one
· Assemble and don equipment
· Inflate and deflate bcd
· Compressed air breathing in shallow
· Clear regulator
· Recover regulator
· Clear partially flooded mask
· Swim underwater with scuba..maintain direction and depth equalize ears
· Locate and read pressure gauge
· Breath from an alternate air source
· Demo and under stand hand signals
· Demo proper accent

Confined water dive two
· Pre dive safety check
· Demo deep water entry
· Clear snorkel
· Exchange snorkel and regulator
· Swim a distance of at leas 50 yards with scuba doned
· Demo 5 point decent
· Remove mask and clear it.
· Breath under water 1 min with out mask
· Response to leaking inflator
· Orally inflate bcd at surface
· Adjust to proper weighting
· React to out of air with signal
· Demo 5 step accent
· Remove weights at surface…quick release
· In water remove scuba

Confined water dive three
· Independently achieve neutral buoyancy
· Swim 10 yards maintaining neutral buoyancy
· Demo cramp removal
· Perform tired diver tow
· React to out of air with signal and them breath from buddy alternate air source
· Breath from free flowing regulator
· Simulate a controlled emergency swimming accent

Confined water dive four
Skin dive skills
· Hyperventilation with snorkel
· Dive vertically
· Clear and breath from snorkel
Scuba skills
· Without mask swim under water for 50 ft. replace and clear mask under water
· Using buoyancy control only hover for 30 sec
· Buddy breath sharing a single air source for a distance of at least 50 feet. (Optional)
Similar skill in the spring when she does her check out skill dives.

Hope this helps

Doug
Thanks for the replies and information
The confined water skills are not that difficult, a good instructor should be able to demonstrate these skills with ease.

Why do you ask? surely you have no intention of getting your wife into the pool prior to the class and having her practice these skills?

If you are, and something goes wrong, you would be setting someone up, and possibly yourself, for a lawsuit.
I'm currently going through the PADI open water diver course. Tonight we had our 3rd confined water dive and we did the following; 30 sec. breath from free flowing regulator, 1 min. underwater breathing with mask completely off, long stride deep water entrance, reaction to air-depletion by signaling out of air, tired diver tow (both in front and behind), establish neutral buoyancy by pivoting on the fin tips.
The instructor told us that the 30 sec. free flow regulator breathing was the hardest thing in the entire class. I would have to agree with him, its kinda scary at first. I'm starting to get the hang of buoyancy and streamlining myself more. Its really starting to be a lot of fun. I can't wait to get out and dive in the lake!
Don't forget the 200 yard swim.