MNScuba.com

Full Version: freediving on tv the other day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know it's been covered on wiscuba but did anyone else catch the freediving show on the Discovery channel thursday night?  It was done very good.  Freediving shows always catch my interest.  Anyone thinking of giving it a serious go this summer?
I saw it, most of it any way.  Really enjoyed it.  And heck ya I'm thinking of giving it a serious go this summer.  I've been practicing in the pool for awhile ;D
Tim, you should.. shoot, you're a natural.  I'm going to work hard on getting over going into the darkness.  I've been mentally psyching myself up for going down the rope.  I hear keeping your eyes closed helps but I wonder if when you get into the darkness with your eyes closed, open them, and still not see a thing if that isn't going to freak me out.  just trying to mentally prepare myself for the dives this summer.

Fred:
I have seen some of  the freedivers down here go into some of the caverns (overhead...) and it just amazes me to watch them...No hurry , just play around a little , swim back towards the entrance , and then up !!!!
Now if one of them can make it down into the Devil's Ear , I will just be astounded !!!

Jean
FRED, if its that dark do you need to open them??  Don't you still have your mask headlights? WinkGoing into the darkness kind of intrigues me.  Kind of completing the whole placid zen thing, no air, no light, no sound, just you...  Can't wait. :o :o

At what depth does the light disapear?  Of course it varies from lake to lake but on avrage?  Maybe i'll swim some laps underwater with my eyes closed to see if I can handel it.

Tim
JEAN, where is "down here"??

Tim
Fred,

I had pretty good luck the end of last summer when the local lakes got really dark witht he closed eye's thing. I ended up dropping a rope to the bottom and keeping my eye's closed until I hit it. Then once I opened them I could see fairly well. I also tried it with a light, but it didn't work as well- cut my usable vis in half!

I, finally, saw the show and thought that it was pretty good. There are rumors that her "newbie" was actually a runner up for the US men's freediving team two years ago.

A few of us got out today. Here's some pic's:

Jon