MNScuba.com

Full Version: Training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a full time police, volunteer fire fighter and am involved with our county dive team.  I would like to know if anyone would be intrested in bringing a profesional training class such as Dive Rescue Intl. to our area.  I have posted this on a couple of occations, but have heard almost nothing from anyone.
Our dive team is just now getting started,,our first decision was to pick a certifying agency. I looked up dive rescue Int,,,ERDI and Lifeguard systems,,,we seem to be leaning more towards Lifeguard systems as the most experienced and thourough,,,but thats only our guess. anybody with any other info to contribute? maybe why you choose the agency you now train with?
    Mark

Ps, Fire Dept member and Rec dive inst, Padi/Naui
One other thing, I'm seriously considering taking an inst course with Lifeguard systems, so I'm really wanting some discussion on agencies,,,LifeGuard can be found on net,,,, LGSTeam.com

Mark

Darned,,,,my mistake,,, Teamlgs.com

Mark
First off, I want to say it is great that you are looking at specific Public Safety Diving training.  Recreational SCUBA certification just doesn’t cover what you need to know for PSD.  I am glad your team is looking for additional training. 

First off I feel that when you are just starting out it is important to choose carefully, there are procedural and technique differences between the agencies training that contradict each other. Not to say that you can’t learn something from them all and choose what you like, but budgets usually don’t allow redundant training.  You may want to talk to the team you would provide mutual aid and find out who they use. Additionally, the training may lead to specific equipment purchases.  For example LGS doesn’t like integrated alternate air sources (like AIR II).  Our department and many in our area use AIR II’s.

Some people really have a strong preference.  I have taken classes from both Lifeguard Systems and from Dive Rescue.  From the feedback our team gave, we learned quite a bit from both agencies.  Here is what I can offer as an overview.  This is just my opinion, I would like to hear what others have to say…..

Dive Rescue: If you are new to PSD I would go with Dive Rescue.  They did a great job of providing a well-rounded knowledge base.  The training was through and did a good job of taking someone recreationally trained and moving them into Public Safety Diving role.  They offer levels of training as your team progresses in skill.

Lifeguard Systems (Butch and Andrea) certainly know their stuff.  They covered quite a bit of technical information and the water work was also through.  Much of the information they taught was in their book on Public Safety Diving.  I felt that much of the training was focused on learning it “their way” and not going over the “why” in much detail. I am a “why” kind of person, so that did not sit well with me.  Still, it was good training and would recommend their product. 

I don’t know much about ERDI but I have talked to a few shops in the Twin Cities that may add that competency within the next year.  I am would like to learn as much about this agency as possible.  If you know anything, please post…..

Both Dive Rescue and Lifeguard Systems may be hard on the departmental budget.  Two other options are to train with another department in your area that has an established team and/or to hire a consultant/trainer.  Depending on where you are located, there are a few people in the Twin Cities area that are excellent PSD trainers.  Some have written their own programs that have been approved by national training agencies (NAUI, SSI).  I have had excellent training in Contaminated Water Diving and Swift Water Rescue offered by the local pros.

Later,

Chris/MNDiver

What area are you from?  I may see if I could join in, or work together.
I am in the process of starting up a rescue dive team for Sherburne County and would entertain a joint training venture with a nationally recognized training agency.  I've done plenty of research on the different agencies and would be the most comfortable with DRI.  The biggest concern I have is having the training so intense that all of your team members want to quit after 1 session.  Keeping the training fun, informative and safe should all be a priority especially for a volunteer organization where turnover is extremely expensive and unacceptable for the fire departments funding the endeavor.