MNScuba.com

Full Version: Northern MN Info Needed Please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good evening everyone,

I would like some information on getting started with my diving certification.  I am looking at becoming a rescue diver in the future - to accomodate my law enforcement licensure.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to look into any form of diving until now (and I'm not getting any younger Wink  - subsequently I know nothing about diving.

Where do I start?

Many thanks,
Kerri
Hi Kerri,
(edit)  shoot kerri, I shoulda checked your profile before I answered.. you have a dive shop right there in bemidji..the Dive Depot". it's out by the John Deere dealer northwest of town.  I haven't dove with them but they sure seem like nice folks, I'd give them a call and see what they offer.. if nothing else they can give you the full scoop on scubadiving)

getting into diving isn't so difficult and people of all ages are doing it.  Northern minnesota?.. not sure what dive shop you're close to but the list of dive shops here at mnscuba under the "diveshops" button or your local yellow pages may turn up a dive shop that is close to you.  It's nice if you don't have to drive to far to a dive shop.. I wouldn't know.. I'm not close to any, that's another story.  Visit with the instructor at a the dive shop.. if you're comfortable with him/her .. you've finished the 1st step.  Most dive shop have several instructors that can work with you.
Diving in minnesota is not like diving you see on television that's for sure.. you really have a good start if you are very comfortable in the water.. nice not to have to get over that step on the way to becoming certified but it is possible.  You'll find all kinds of help here from some very good divers.  Maybe they'll chime in..
if things don't work out with the bemidji shop for some reason you have options in virginia as well as detroit lakes. Seal at Tri state diving is great to work with he has a law enforcement back ground and a very technical nature.  I like working with him.  he offers classes around the area I don't know how far north he goes.

Doug