MNScuba.com

Full Version: ice diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the guys are going to put a hole over the speeders this weekend and do some diving
Which location is this?  I may be interested.

Question: even though the ice may still be thick in the middle, what about open water between the ice and the shore?  How do you address that?  The weather has been so warm of late that a lot of lakes are melting quickly...
I think he is talking about ore be gone in the virginia area they will still be ice diving while we are open water diving down in the metro.

Doug
the hole is cut above the training platform and the guys and gals will be hitting the water on Sat. & Sun.
If you haven't done open water diving as of this post you'll be too late.
I'm open and ice certified among other certifications, thanks.  Ice diving is a very equipment intensive exercise...  auger, chainsaw, shelter, etc. so getting all of the equipment to the dive site is a pretty important consideration.  If there's a fair amount of water between the shore and the ice, you're pretty much out of luck.  Hence, my question.

dbarlow, thanks for the clarification.  I'm still working on my telepathy skills.
The ice was about 18 " yesterday it is melting fast when the hole was cut on Thursday it was about 6" thicker.  Missed the platform by 10 ' Water temp was 38 and vis was about 40'  Nice sunny day so there was no need for a shelter. Everyone had fun if the weather keeps  up the ice will be gone by mid month