MNScuba.com

Full Version: Looking for ideas for 2003
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
A secchi disk is a shiny disk that they drop down until it is no longer visible.. the DNR uses it and lists results for quite a few lake on their website. Almost sounds like it might look like a cd or something.. I've never seen one.

Fred

chrisw

It sounds like you are describing a secchi disk, Leon.

A secchi disk technically measures water clarity rather
than visibility, but I think it may be useful if we are
trying to "standardize" our vis reports.

Although, check out this link about secchi disks and
readings:

It makes me think that a secchi disk reading is about
as reproducible and accurate as our unmeasured "vis"
reports would be.

This "vis" topic gets murkier as we go along!
Just go down with a tape measure and have your buddy take one end and swim away, when you can't see him anymore then look at the tape measure and voila, there's your vis! Of course this would require 4 divers because you'd need to be buddied up Wink

If the vis is so bad that you can't read the tape measure, then you probably don't want to be diving there anyway...

I'm joking of course... but it 'would' work.

chrisw

Low tech but I like it, Chris.

You could even report the "vis" at different depths,
sections of the lake, time of day, etc

*oops* i am getting a little crazy with the measurement
theme. sorry. force of habit.
Ok, I nominate 'chrisw' to do the vis reporting... Wink
Chrisw,
Your description of the secchi disk is more accurate.. I thought it was a shiney disk as per the "what do volunteers do" .. where it states it's all white, but in the diagram it shows it black and white. Guess the brain is goin'..

I like the tape measure idea.. fortunately, around here, we could get by with a 12' tape a lot of the time. Or not so fortunately.

Fred
Consistency is improved by using a uniform disk size and color. One diver might have florescent tanks and the next not, greatly changing the detectable distance. You should be able to buy something like this in a dive shop Smile
How about a change in the order of posts. The most recent post would be the first listed - just the opposite of the current post order. To see the latest post, you wouldn't have to scroll down or go to a 2nd or 3rd page - it would be right there at the top, the first thing you see.
Happy Holidays,
Dan

I'll second that!
I like the idea about ChrisW being the viz master. Or we could have a rotating schedule so everyone
could get involved...Or just report on your favorite lake...Could I get first dibs on Perch???

I like the idea of most resent posts coming up first...Thats a great idea!!!!

Thanks...Jean ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4