MNScuba.com

Full Version: Dive Computers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think you will be a lot happier avoiding the Cobra, and going with the Vyper instead. You can wrist mount this and it is basically the exact same computer as the Cobra but without the integrated pressure gauge. Even with buying an SPG, you’ll probably save a few bucks going this route. There's a computer vs. bottom timer that I'm not going to get into here Wink (although the Vyper can be used as a decent bottom timer by setting it the "gauge" mode). Bungees are a well thought out idea. I use these on my wrist mounted compass. However, some people prefer to leave the computer with a strap so that it can seriously cinched down in case you develop a major breach in a drysuit wrist seal and still have a long ascent to the surface in front of you (although I suppose, in principle, leaving the strap on the compass or computer would work, provided that both straps are equally strong). With my computer/bottom timers I run a length of thin bungee in a particular manner so that even if the strap pin completely fails, the computer will be tethered to my wrist - but this is not an issue with some computer/bottom timer straps).

DRE

The problem with console mounted computers is that you have a bulky console. Also, the most important data to check while you're diving is time and depth, whereas tank pressure you only check a few times every dive (after about 25 dives you should start to know your consumption rate). This means that you constantly have to unclip the console in order to check the relevant data, whereas with a wrist mount all the info is always right there.
For those of you who are thinking tech diving down the road: avoid the air integrated units. They're much more prone to failure and you can't use them if you're using different gasses for decompression. A brass analog gauge is about as failproof as you can get.
And BTW, the best computer is the one between your ears...
Thanks guys...Lots of different options here !!!
Jean Smile

JNitrox

igotoofar, I have been using the VR3 for about a year and absolutely love it (I also like a wrist mount). One of the people I dive with really likes the onboard game on the VR3 while we are doing deco stops (has anyone else noticed that divers are willing to do the weirdest things sometimes?). I had been using the Suunto Vyper previous to the VR3 and found it to be a very reliable and easy to use unit. The Cobra is basically an air integrated Vyper. The Mosquito, Vyper, Cobra, and Vytec share many of the same basic features. The only way to select the best computer for you is to think about what kind of diving you are doing now and where you want to go with it in the future. Many of the manufacturers have fairly good descriptions of features on their websites. Some even offer screen shots of the display or simulators to show how they work.

There is no one right computer for everyone. As DRE said, "...the best computer is the one between your ears... " Whatever you decide on, the computer is just a tool. Good luck with your search.
I have both a Cobra and a VR3. The Cobra is great, because it is simple. When my wife dives (which isn't very often), she uses the Cobra, and has no problem with it despite the lack of regular use.

The VR3 can do just about anything you would ever care to do, it has great flexibility. Personally I use it for both OC and SCCR diving. Unfuortunately with that flexibility comes some complexity. Though certianly not a great mental challenge, the VR3 takes longer to get used to than the other computers I have used. Also, in my opinion, the manual sucks.

Another advantage of the VR3 is that you can take about two pounds off your weight belt when using the VR3 (be careful or you'll list to the left) Wink
Ok I started by asking about the VR3 vs. the Cobra.

How about if we change the question to air integrated vs not.

If you had the chance to start your scuba life over what would you start with?

DRE

Just a simple bottom timer (cost is about $165). Given that the average price of an air-integrated unit is around $600, the difference would buy you an HID canister light - go figure.
Although most people consider computers to work quite well for diving, it also has dramatically reduced people's knowledge of how decompression actually works (instead of trying to figure out what the numbers on your computer mean), and it's just unbelieveable the number of divers who get bent saying: "but I always stayed within the limits of my computer - how is this possible?" There is no such thing as an undeserved hit and only proper knowledge of decompression theory can safeguard you against your own ignorance/stupidity.
Also, most computers either give you profiles that are way to long (example: we did a 130ft for 20 dive once and one of the guys' computer told him he still had to stay for another 25 minutes in the water after the tables had cleared us), or they give profiles that are incorrect in shape (pulling the diver way too close to the surface way too soon).
As with all electronics, the more complicated they get the more chance they have of failing ( I know of a few people who already had to send back their VR3's - I haven't heard of anyone having to send back a bottom timer).
Personally I like to be in control when I'm diving, that's why I'd rather trust my own brain when it comes to deco than a computer. It's amazing how easy it is to even figure out multilevel dives in terms of deco obligation with a simple set of tables.

LclDiver

DRE- Are you saying that any diver that ends up with decompression illness deserved it? I think not, there are many divers out there that have stayed well within computer and table limits and still ended up bent. If you are ignorant enough to believe that since you claim to have knowledge in decompression you will never be bent then maybe your hit will be deserved.
Also, you state that "most computers give you profiles that are way to long" Could that be because they are based on different profiles than the tables you are using? Many newer computers will have you do more stops and ascend slower than the tables for micro-bubble stops and many other factors that your tables may not be taking into account.
Most smart divers will use a computer and tables that way they can compare the difference and have a backup in case the computer fails.
There are plenty of divers out there and none of them deserve to have a diving injury.
Let's take a step back here. Lcl - when DRE says "undeserved hit" I believe he is talking about a manifestation of DCI/DCS without an obvious violation of table or computer rules being followed by the diver. It's a commonly accepted term used extensively by DAN (for better or worse) among others, but without a really specific definition. I don't think he meant it in a "...they got what was coming to them..." mean spirited type of way.

Some people in the diving community believe that "undeserved hit" is a term too frequently used to describe what those using the term see as statistical outliers, but are in actuality explained by other decompression theories. Hence saying that there is no such thing as an undeserved hit means that the hit was “deserved” (see definition above) but not understood as such due to their apparent lack of decompression understanding.

DRE

Beeger explained quite well what I meant. To give you an example: a lot of divers will do 4 dives per day for a week when they're on a liveaboard. At the end of the week they'll have a manifestation of DCS, although they never ascended too fast, never even went into deco according to their computer and even were using nitrox.
DAN labels that as an undeserved hit. Now, most people do their deepest dive first. When they come up from dive 1, some of the bubble nuclei that never were completely compressed during descent are still present in the blood stream. On dive 2 this diver does a shallower dive. The bubbles still present in the bloodstream from dive 1 start accumulating more inert gas. The deco obligation for dive 2 is less according to the computer since it is a shallower dive, but the bubble present doesn't follow this schedule. Now repeat this scenario over and over and you get an undeserved hit. Take into account that 25% of the population also has Patent Foramen Ovale and this probably explains 90% of all so-called undeserved hits.
If you know this, you get checked for a PFO and do your deepest dives last, so all the bubbles present can recompress, and you can do a proper ascent and stops and you won't get hit.
As far as computers are concerned, most give you way too much deco because they are not designed as a deco computer (the equivalent of the PADI tables), or they do give you somewhat of a proper shape and time, but then they're hugely expensive and not worth the money anyway since a bottom timer and tables do the job just as well. If you want to carry a backup, a second bottom timer isn't a bad idea, although your backup bottom timer should be your buddy's.
The 1200$ that it costs to buy a VR3 can be spent on a set of doubles, an HID canister light and a bottom timer. I know what to spend my money on.
Also, a diver constantly relying on his/her computer to get the job done will eventually become overly dependent on the unit - which can only lead to some degree of a disaster when the sh*t really hits the fan.
Pages: 1 2 3