MNScuba.com

Full Version: Diving the Boundary Waters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone on the board ever dived any of the boundary waters lakes?
Is it even legal to dive on these lakes?
Jason and I asked some people at the GLSPS show and didn't find anyone really who went up there. I understand that it's mostly very shallow up there and you really need a boat.  Not ideal for scuba probably.  I bet it would be a great area for freediving and snorkeling though.
Supposedly there are alot of cool lakes to dive up there with unique geological formations and artifacts. also huge schools of fish.
I have dove a couple of the access areas along the Ely area. Vis is pretty good but it is mostly shallow diving. There are alot of underwater stumps from some clearing that was done years ago and things to explore using just a snorkel. I recovered enough lures and daredevils from the stumps and other snag points to fill my tackle box and leave a bunch more on the dock.

The lures you recovered.... Were any of them antique lures?  Because i hear those can be worth quite a bit.
some had been there long enough for the gang hooks to have corroded away.. most were newer big $$ Rappala's and such
I suppose if you call 150 feet deep shallow.  The lakes are clear pending on which ones you dive.  You need a boat to get to the good areas and a lot of it is 25 HP max.  There are some good sheer walls and stuff If you are planning on taking things you find don't get caught.  Even cleaning up a camp site of stuff left behind can get you in trouble as you then take the blame for being the one bring it in there.
It is a lot fun going in the BWCA and I am planning a trip or two this summer.
I suppose if you call 150 feet deep shallow.  You need a boat to get to the good areas
Quote:

Sorry, I should have said most of MY diving there was shallow. I dove only in the areas that you could reach by car or carry in your gear a short distance.
fyi,  another shop that could help you might be  A & W Diving   in ELY  1311 E Sheridan St  Ely Mn 55731   218-365-3389