MNScuba.com

Full Version: Square Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went in on the County side at Square.  Took the doubles since they were the only tanks I had with air!  Vis was 20 ft or so.  I took a tracing of the lines and platforms with my GPS, the track is attached.  I left the float at the northern most platform and traversed over to Golden Acres.  The vis seemed a little better there than at the county park.

I tried valve shutdowns, but realized I need to stretch my shoulders and arms a bit, I could barely reach the valves.

Hopefully this will be my last dive in my old drysuit & wetsuit gloves.  I have a DUI CF-200 on the way with dry gloves!

Water temp recorded at 44 degrees.

Jeff
Can you or anyone else put the sites (platforms, planes, boats, etc) onto this, or is the map that was drawn up a year or so ago still pretty accurate?
I've added the platforms and some depth info.  I didn't record exact depth measurements everywhere since I wasn't intending on making a map, but maybe next time out I'll do that.

Jeff

This is the only map I've seen of the County Side.  Most of the maps are of the Golden Acres area.
Where is all this stuff in relation to golden acres? I've only been there once.
The entrance for the county park is about 1/2 mile farther around on the road from the entrance to Golden Acres.  The Scuba entry is from the first parking lot inside the entrance, on the far N (right) side of the beach area.

On the picture, from the platform with the hole in the center (bottom of picture) I'd guess the canoe/1st base platform is about 400 ft farther South.

I've wanted to actually measure, but have never ran enough line out.

Jeff
So you must have been the guy in the water when I got there. I spent a long time getting to, I thought for sure you would have been out beore I jumped in. I guess  the doubles explians why you were down so long.
I pulled  solo dive at square to do some checks on gear changes I've made over the winter. New thermals I needed to get weight set for and new neck seal I needed to make sure wasn't going to strangle me. It only feels that way on shore. Vis was about 20 feet of muck bottom. Yep, that's why I don''t normally bother diving square lake. But I really needed to get underwater this year soon or scream.
Hitting Wazee next weekend, so Square was good for getting the kinks worked out before going there. That and the complete release of stress I seem to get whenever I spend a bit time underwater.

Cary
Yeah, I hit the water at about 11 am and spent just under an hour and a half down.  I think you were headed out just as I surfaced.

Square isn't too interesting, but I enjoy tring to find things I didn't know were there.  That's a lot easier when the vis is 20 ft, instead of the 20 inches you get in July...

Jeff
Our vintage dive club did its first dive of the year on April 21 at Square Lake. The vis. was over 25ft. great dive. My old vintage double hose Mistral reg. worked just great.
3 of us did square on Sun. 4-24-2005.  Vis was great at all depths we were at probably about 20 to 25 feet.  Thermocline seemed to be in the 25 foot area.  Temp above thermo was 57-58 temp below was a balmy 40.  We dove the left shorline out to the what I call the bar.  It was about 3/4 of the way to that point.  We then went NNE until we reached about 33 foot then went due East.  Visibilty was really good even at 33-34 foot all the way to the surface.  I found a really old Schmitt beer can.  It is in really rough shape but it's one of the old "oil can" style cans.  All in all good first dives of the season.