MNScuba.com

Full Version: Kayak Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading this months edition of Diving Training Magazine and there is an article on kayak diving. Kayak diving looked to be a good way to explore dive sites that are too far from shore to swim. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried kayak diving and thought it's worth the investment in buying a kayak?
My wife and I ahve a tandem open kayak (not a sea kayak normally used with diving). We've paddled around the Crosby pits and other small lakes. Very easy and fast to get around. I want to use it to get to some of the less accessible sites around Crosby, but haven't tried loading it with scuba gear or tried to re-enter it from the water yet. It should have plenty of capacity, and re-boarding should be easy after some practice. I'll be trying it this fall.
You will have to let me know how it goes this fall.
I have a Cobra Fish'n'Dive. I use it for exercise more than anything else. I have dove out of it and it is designed for that function. The problem I have is that I don't know any others with dive kayaks and I don't do the solo thing, so I do paddling about for the most part.<br><br>JoelW
Joelw,<br><br>If you knew more people with kayaks would dive out of yours more often?
This seems more geared toward ocean but might be helpful. I looked at doing something like this, but the family CFO didn't think we had room. So much dive gear, so little garage space for storage (sigh).
lwright,<br><br>Yea, if I knew ohers who wanted to use kayaks I would take mine out more for that purpose. There are a couple of other divers in town with Cobras, I just haven't come across them yet. Scuba Daddys and Going Under both sell the Cobra Kayaks. Another popular brand is Ocean Kayaks. They are both sit on top kayaks as opposed to sit inside types.<br><br>http://www.kayakdiving.com/<br><br>Joelw
Joel,<br>Want to get together to figure out how to carry dive gear and practice gearing up/getting in/out of water?<br>I've read a bit, but I think local practice to work out the bugs, etc would be helpful.<br>Our kayak - an open tandem recreational - can hold 475 lbs. Let's say -325 for two people, leaves 150 for two sets of scuba gear. Close - and probably crowded. Two kayaks would be the way to go.<br>Anyway - I live in Bloomington near Bush lake. Could practice there or Square, Perch, etc.<br>Let me know if you would like to try this.<br>Many dive sites in Crosby ahve lousy shore access, but could be reached by kayak very quickly and easily. I already have dive flag mounts on our boat.<br>Dan
DanL,<br><br>I live in Eden Prairie by Flying Cloud Field. I am up for doing a bit of practicing. Little Long or Christmas may be a bit better being on this side of town. For that matter, Lake Bryant. <br><br>If you don't have any yet make up a couple of tethers with bolt snaps on either end. About the only way to get into and out of gear is in the water. Hook one end of the tether to the kayak and the other to a d-ring on the gear.<br><br>JoelW
Iwright

I have been an avid kayaker for well over ten years, I have a Predator for whitewater and surfing, a lake kayak and a sea kayak. I can say that for me at least, I think it would kind of suck trying to get your gear on, let alone getting in and out of a standard kayak. Last summer though I had the pleasure of kayaking with Richard from SDT, he's got a canvass inflatable from I think Dive Rite - you'ld have to ask him the specific model. But I thought it would be a perfect platform to dive from. It's flat, two seats and handles real well. I'm sure that well both be out at Wazee and I would be happy to let you try one of my boats and Richard will be bringing his out too.

Crunchyfrogs
Pages: 1 2