MNScuba.com

Full Version: Invention or hoax?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Check out this site:

Of course it would also have to extract nitrogen to make air humans can breath for extended periods of time.
It would also seem that it woud have to pump large volumns of water through it to extract sufficient gas quantities. Smile
i personally would much rather be on a "spare air"and130ft.

and thats not saying much....i guess i would be willing to sell my ticket as first in line to try it out
lol, this is funny to say the least.  I have to say that theoretically its possible, however energy, and the spinning needed to extract O2 from h2O is extreme.  Inaddition O2 has a max depth of 20ft at an exposure of 1.6.  So much for the deep stuff. 
Nitrogen wouldn't be extracted, water is the source not compressed air. Other inert gases are breathable, but its highly unlikely that a container of O2 and Hydrogen separation would be stable. Think you have some extra steps setting up a rebreather, just imagine this thing going into the water.

Hydroflourocarbons are difficult to breathe enough as it is and they are far more realistic. This is a Total Hoax!

By the way, Dumbo now has a patent on his ears for flying, soon everyone will want one...  in theory that is  Wink
Using info from the article:
1.5% dissolved AIR in water at 100ft depth
Assume SAC rate of 0.8cfm
At 100 ft, air use then 3.2cfm
Weight of 3.2 cf of air=111grams
To get 111g of air out of water at 1.5% dissolved air:
      111/0.015 = 7400g water (at 100% efficiency)
No extraction process is 100% efficient - assume 75%(still high)
        7400/0.75 = approx 10kg
        10kg water = 22lbs or about 3 gallons
Unit would have to centrifuge 3 gallons/minute of water.
That seems like a lot for a battery operated centrifuge!
Also - what's dissolved in the water?  Any CO?
Sounds unlikely.
The same gases in air should be dissolved in the water.  I would think that different gases would dissolve at different rates so it wouldn't be exactly the same percentages as in air but I would think it would be fairly close.

However, I would agree that it seems unlikely that any portable battery powered centrifuge would be able to supply enough air.  Also, wouldn't a centrifuge increase the pressure rather than decrease it?
Hey do we really believe this or is it just someone's shady attempt at a fundraising scam. I mean I sure would like to believe that someday it will be possible but I guess I am skeptical at this point. What do you think?

I have a hard time believing it to be practical but apparently they have applied for patents for the device.

Am not sure if these links will work.  I've never type including links in a message before.  If not, there is a thread on that talk about this.
I just found this from the scuba board thread, , which is supposedly a reply from an email to the inventor about the percentage of oxygen in water.

> [Original Message]
> From: Bodner <bodner@likeafish.biz>
> Date: 6/3/2005 6:36:09 PM
> Subject: Re: Underwater Breathing
>
> It extracts the dissolved AIR from the water.
> The contents of the dissolved air is different from the air in the
> atmosphere.
> It contains 34% Oxygen, compared to less than 21% Oxygen air in the
> atmosphere.
Pages: 1 2