MNScuba.com

Full Version: Warning for the Dive Rite Nitek Duo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

decoeric

Just thought I would let you all know that I bought a Nitek Duo back in May of this year, did 14 dives on it and then one day before diving, while getting ready to dive I was putting on my computer and there was a flashing "E" on the screen. I reset the machine and pulled the battery but it did not help the "E" was still there and I was unable to use my computer. I had a local dive shop call Dive Rite and explain the situation and they said send it back and we will fix it "We have seen this before"?!?!?  I got my computer back 2 weeks later did one shallow dive on the Hesper wreck in Superior the computer worked perfectly, following weekend I was at Wazee with a 190' max depth dive planned and crossing 183' I looked down to check my computer and had NO SCREEN the computer died during the dive. I was 3 minutes into my 10 minute planned bottom time dive. I turned the dive extremely angry and headed back to the line. I called Dive Rite the following Monday and spoke with Jeffery and he didn't say to much almost like "crap" this is not good. He said that they had repaired my old computer. I told him it was dead and I wanted a new one. He understood and said that it would be at least 2 weeks. I told him I didn't want to wait that long and that I would work with the dive shop where I bought the unit and see if they would exchange it. Which they did no questions asked. I was at Wazee this past weekend trying once again to do the same dive 190' max for 10 minutes. Once again at 186' I looked down to check my computer and had NO SCREEN, my brand new computer had died as well. I am telling you to use extreme caution with these computers if you have one. Obviously there is a problem and Dive Rite needs to admit to that and recall them if this is the case. I returned mine yesterday, so now I am computer less and extremely PO'd at Dive Rite.

I guess I would call Dive Rite and find out what the deal is if you have a Nitek Duo.

Phone: (386) 752-1087
support@diverite.com

Better safe than sorry.

eric

If you are looking for something similar in features and price range that has the bugs worked out try the Suunto Vyper.  You can dive it on deco dives but if doing so it's best to put it in Gauge mode and dive your plan from your slate or wetnotes rather than have the computer do your deco as it likes to lump all the deco into the 10 foot stop at the end.

decoeric

I am going to get the VR3 and be done with it...

Would you consider reporting this to the Consumer Product Safety Commisssion at ? 
Cool.  I just came across this on the VR3 at the DecoStop forum today.  Just thought I'd pass it on.

I've had a VR3 for four years, and it's been a great computer for me.  Never failed in over 200 dives.  If I was buying another computer however, I would take a serious look at the Explorer.  It is easier to use and read underwater, and tends to get you out of the water safely with less deco time.  Swing by some place that has both and spend some time before you buy, it's a big investment!

decoeric

I've had a VR3 for four years, and it's been a great computer for me.  Never failed in over 200 dives.  If I was buying another computer however, I would take a serious look at the Explorer.  It is easier to use and read underwater, and tends to get you out of the water safely with less deco time.  Swing by some place that has both and spend some time before you buy, it's a big investment!
[/quote]

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Explorer so I think I am going to stay away from that one...
I've been using an Explorer for the last 3 years and am VERY happy with it.  Most of the people I dive with use a VR3 but if I were to buy another computer for backup I'd definitely buy an Explorer.  I think there's another thread somewhere discussing some of the differences.

I also dive the explorer and love it.  It has never even so much as thought about having a problem.  I have heard some weard things about the explorer and I can say that they are all fixed.  I like the even deco plans that I get.  I have dove with vr3 divers and they go up faster but at the shallower stops I pass them.  The explorer keeps you deeper for more stops and you don't have to hang on the line at 15ft for ever.  You must purchase something you like, but don't overlook the explorer because of what was happening years ago. 
Everyone has different experiences and any computer can have problems-- I have 3 duo's, with well over 100 dives on them and never had a problem. My VR3 is presently being shipped back to England for repairs. I do like the VR3, but I have complaints about battery life, the switches being "sticky", downloading dives has been a problem and sometimes it can be challenging pushing the switches when switching gases with really cold hands at the end of a long Great Lakes dive. The duo has performed well for me and when just using two gasses it is easy to switch, just push the button and hold for a few seconds. For myself, if I were looking at another trimix computer, I would consider the Nitek He. But then again, my Dive-rite experience has been better.......
safe diving.
Pages: 1 2