MNScuba.com

Full Version: Two Rivers-Wisconsin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just got back from a trip with Greg Such (Shipwreck Adventures) based out of Two Rivers and it was incredible  ;D

We had three days of diving in the 150-220 range on some really beautiful wrecks.  I love diving Lake Superior, and the lack of Zebra Mussles keeps the ships a bit more "authentic" looking, but Isle Royale doesn't have the wooden ships that Lake Michigan does  Smile

The ability to dive in-tact wooden schooners with a plethora of artifacts was awesome.  My buddy and I even did a dive on the "Mystery Schooner"(220ft) that most OC guys could not do.  The lower holds are very silty and the bubbles tend to "brown out" the viz pretty quick from disturbing the ceiling  :o With our CCR's we were able to penetrate from the stern all the way to the bow in the holds  ;D  I was hoping to be able to find something to help identify the wreck and it's possible that I did...we'll have to wait for the slides to develop I guess  :Smile

We also dove the Vernon (190ft), the Crane/debris field(150ft), and the Rouse Simmons (Christmas tree Wreck) (160ft) if any of my slides turn out I will post some pics   Wink

Thanks to Greg for running a great trip...we'll see you next year  Big Grin
Sounds like a really cool trip, how many divers did you have going off the Little Alexandria?

What do you think you got a picture of that would identify the wreck???

We had  CN3, John Preston, Roger Southwick, Deep Wreck, Corndogg, and Mark Y (me).

Although I really didn't constitute a diver... was surfaced bound with 02 sensor troubles (like they were too old and keep giving me cell warnings).

Ran into a wide range of water temps.  Originally we were told to expect 65-70 degree water at 60 ft.  No such thing on the first dive... frozen our butts off.  We did have some 55 degree deco time but much closer to the surface.

Greg Such and his outfit is 'A Number One' with me.

I'd have to agree, I was very pleased in my recent trip to Lake Michigan. 

We did have nice warm water for deco though, 40F at depth, 55F at 50 feet, and all the way to 68F by the surface :o.  I've never had water that warm in Lake Superior. 
The trip was awsome, and Greg was most acomidating.  He could even handle Chuck.  The diving was great.  I couldn't believe that those ships were so intact, and penitration was so cool.  The CCRs are the only way to dive,  the swim through the mistery schooner was just to good.  I dropped into the cargo hold and watched chuck take pictures of the cross beams, to hopefully identify the wreck, and I took a look that direction and didn't think that two people in the stern of the ship was to good seeing that we only had about 5ft of space from the silt covered floor, and the celing.  With the CCR I just nailed my boancy and glided to the bow.  First the many artifacts, and second the fact that Im inside a ship at 213
feet swimming from stern to bow was awsome.  Midship, another cargo hold would have made a good exit, but for some reason I just kept going, and soon found myself in the bow exiting the most forward hold.  Greg was excited about the dive we did, because I guess we were the first ones to have ever doen that before.  I just love these deep wrecks, and the penitration made the trip.  I would go again in a heart beat, but you wont find me forgetting my suit heater again.  I think I might have to use my suit heater on the surface because I can still feel the cold.  I just get to cold, I know Im a wimp. 

If the ship is the one they suspect it is, it underwent an expansion.  Two things would verify this if they can be found.  The first (and best) is the gross tonnage which would have been carved into one of the crossbeams.  I looked but was unable to find this  :-\

Second would be an obvious seam where the splice occurred.  After scouting the rafters I began examining the side walls and I saw what may have been the seam (it appeared to run the entire height of the wall).  I brushed off the zebra mussles and took a few pictures but with the particles floating around after clearing the area I don't know how identifiable it will be in the picture :Smile

If nothing is determined it will give us a good reason to head back  Wink

Plethora?

Or myriad if you prefer... Tongue
"Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of piñatas?"
Chuck,

When you say mystery schooner, which one are you talking about?

There's the one at 220' that used to be called the Gallinipper (sp?)

Or, there's the one at 305' that Roger chapman found as is thought to be the Tenny+Laura (sp?)

BTW: Greg runs a great boat and is one of the few capitains whom I trust to tech dive with- he also lets you freedive off of his boat, which everyone out there wil let you do, so I've got to give him credit for that. Wink

Jon
Pages: 1 2 3 4