MNScuba.com

Full Version: Rental equipment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new in here.  Forum looks a bit slow.  Hope I can get some responses / recommendations.

We are planning an anniversary trip to the Caymans in 2006.  It is quite possible that our dive/hotel package will not include equipment beyond tanks and weights.  We own masks/fins/snorkels, but will need to rent BC, regulators, gauges/computer, etc.

Weighing the option of renting this equipment locally versus in the Caymans.
Are there local shops the forum members would recommend for weekly (8-10 days) rentals like this?
Is it cost effective (renting locally vs. the Caymans)?

We live just south of the Twin Cities.  Any recommendations, suggestions, or advice is appreciated.
Ryan.
In my opinion you'd be better off renting regs and BC in the Caymans from the dive operator you are going to be diving with.  It would be much less hassle as you'll have less to take with on the plane.  Also, if you rent gear locally you are responsible for that gear and if something gets lost, ripped off, or damaged at the airport or in transit you're going to have to pay for it.
I would agree with the hassles of weight and all I'd rent there
Just remember that not all diveshops are created equal  Wink

I have seen a fair amount of problems with gear people rent from tropical diveshops.  They are often times in various states of disrepair, dated and overused, and sometimes the sizes they have are limited  Tongue

If you rent from a diveshop you know and trust you will probably be more familiar with the equipment, have confidence in the fact that it is functioning properly, and know that it fits  ;D

It is a trade off either way, I just thought I would throw out another point of view Smile
I'd personally side with Chuck.  I've seen some really bad rental equipment in my diving travels (though I've always brought my own).  If I was familiar with the shop and had had good luck in the past I would consider renting, but otherwise I'd rent locally.  You're really not talking much weight to lug along for a whole lot of piece of mind.
I agree that the rental equipment from the dive operator probably isn't going to be that great.  Good points by Chuck and Ghosh.  At the same time though, most of the rental gear that local dive shops rent out is pretty low end if we're talking about the same gear that is used for OW classes.  (I'm thinkin' back to my OW class with free flowin' LPO octos in the pool etc.)  :Smile  But,  I can't say this is the case for all shops though.
Personally, if I were in this situation I'd opt to purchase my own reg set rather than rent it.  If I were to never dive again after the trip I could sell the regs and come out pretty much even to the weeks rental rate for regs and have the peace of mind of not having to be liable for someone elses gear. 
  As far as BC's go, most local dive shops rent out the same lower end stab jackets that are used for OW classes which will be the same as what the dive operators are going to rent you though they may or may not be in as good of condition as the ones your LDS has in rental.
The airlines don't have a real good track record with treating baggage with care or getting it back to you for that matter.  When I went to the Bahamas last month I carried on my own regs, mask, computer, HID light, and checked the rest of my gear...BC, fins, wetsuit etc.  Good thing I did.  My checked bag was trashed by the time I got home.  It actually had an 8 inch rip on one end exposing the bags contents.  Fortunately my wing wasn't punctured and nothing else was damaged or missing.
Bottom line.  If you rent the gear locally DO NOT check it.  Take it in carry on.
Hmmm, all very good input.

No doubt if we rent it locally, it becomes carry-on baggage.  No way would we check it in and want to deal with damaged or lost/stolen equipment!  Airlines are too notorious for mis-handling of baggage.

Would love to buy our own stuff, but cannot cost justify it at this time.  As much as we enjoy diving, we cannot do it frequently enough to make this investment pay off.  Someday though, when the kids are older (1.5 & 4 now)....

I see Scuba Daddy's, Fantasea, and the Scuba Center are all close by us.  Only the Scuba Center has rental rates that I can find online.  Would the rental equipment be comparable between all three shops?

Ryan.
Ryan,
Why don't you just stop by or call and ask them?

We plan to.  Thought that getting past customer input would also be good research, since this is our first contact with any scuba retailer since moving to Minnesota.  Also never know if there is a "golden nugget" off the beaten path that we might otherwise overlook.
Detroit Lakes LDS uses weight integrated SP bc's and computers on the reg's.  My son did his ow there in June 04.  Feb 04  he rented same equipment he trained in ( including wetsuit, boots, hood, mask,etc.) for a trip to Fla.  We had to haul it, along with our other 2 sets,  but the rentals up here are in better shape after a year than those are after a month ( in my loud-mouthed, opionionated opinion).,,er   IMHO.

Rental prices here in Feb are darn reasonable........Other than the dirty look from the Northwest ticket agent,  it was a good way to go for us   ;D

Sorry,  Fla trip was Feb 05,  not 04.
Pages: 1 2