MNScuba.com

Full Version: Ice Diving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello-
I am new to dry suit diving, and I am thinking of taking an ice diving course this winter.  My questions are concerning the undergarments.  I have a Polar Tec fleece 200 (Dive Rite).  I really have no clue how warm this will be.  Do I need to buy some thicker undergarments for colder water?

Thanks!
T
Yes, you will need something thicker than 200g fleece.  You have a few options. The cheapest route would be to layer more fleece under what you have.  You can get fleece tops and bottoms at most outdoor sporting goods stores.  For my first year of drysuit diving I wore a one piece 300g Softwear fleece undergarment and then I layered a 100g fleece top and bottom from REI under that  This worked out ok but still wasn't as warm as I would have liked.
A second option would be to get a thinsulate undergarment.  I use a DUI 400g thinsulate undergarment and it is much warmer than fleece.  There are other manufacturers besides DUI that make thinsulate undergarments as well. 
Another option would be to try a Weezle undergarment.  I've never tried one but have heard from quite a few local divers that are quite happy with them. 
I agree with Lonnie.  You are likely going to get cold.  My first drysuit undies were also 200 weight polar fleece.  They didn't cut it for me, even in the relatively warm Florida caves, but then again I'm kind of skinny and get cold easy.  I now dive weezle undies, and love them, they keep me warm in both Superior and in the deep at Wazee.  I've heard good things about the DUI's as well. - Kirk 
I dive Weezle undies too and they have been the best I have had so far.  The Weezle socks are great too.  They came with the undersuit.

decoeric

I think you will be fine. Those dives aren't very long. So I would stay with your fleece and maybe some long underwear underneath. I have what looks like a 70's snowsuit under my dry suit and I stay very warm. I am ice certified and do alot of extended deco stuff in both wazee and superior... But all in all I would do the ice class before you buy anything else and test it out...

eric
Don't do to many layers. They will work against each other as far as mobility. Have a wicking layer then like a "Plus 5" vest then your main layer.

K
My question to you is, if you are new to Dry Suit diving, why on earth are you taking an Ice Diving class?

Why don't you spend some time getting used to the suit before taking a class where there is an overhead environment.

What if you over-inflate and end up planting your face on the bottom side of the ice?