MNScuba.com

Full Version: QUESTION OF THE DAY
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How many anchors does take to anchor a boat, when you want to use it as a search platfrom?
What is the scope on the rope or the angle of the rope to the bottom. What do you think the minium length of rope should be. maybe next time we will talk about rope bags
grumpie

wtdrm

I think it would be 4 anchors, minumum of three. Two off the bow with a 45 degree angle from each. and 1 each off the port and starboard stern. The scope should 5. Which is the most extreme. Meaning 5 times the depth of the water, to insure no dragging.
CJ
We use a 3 point anchorage,
one off the bow with a 200 foot line
two off the stern each one has a 200 foot line.
the bow line has out 175 feet of rope so that you can move the boat up stream with out starting the motor.
the stern ones have 100 feet of rope out so that you can swing the stern right or left with out starting the motor.
if your in the river a 7 to 1  gives you a little better grip on the bottom.
a very good answer though.  grumpie
PS did you ever figure out the three most importanting in doing a search pattern
Actually Grumpie,
I think you gave me that assignment...    the 3 most important things.
I'll take a shot here.   
1.  make sure you are mentally and physically ready for the assignment
2.  make sure your gear and back up are 100 percent
3.  if not  don't do the dive.

I took the approach of your earliest trick questions....  "before" the dive starts.
maxfactor.
Try Start at a given point, cover a given area, stop at a given point.
This way you can walk away and say its not there or I found it.
So that when we show up we  know where to start and were not redoing that area.
See  the things we do are not hard, but they are orginize.
grumpie
thats what I meant to say...  lesson learned.      thanks  Grumpie.  this is why I firmly belive the more training all divers get, the better all divers are. 
keep up the great questions.
thanks again.
maxfactor.
Ok, I have a "question of the day" for you....

It is a cool beautiful spring day (not unlike today), your pager goes off----you need to go find some sort of evidence in the local lake. No problem because you have done this at least a dozen times before....you are the cool, calm, and collected professional we have come to know and love..... 

You get to the site and start to suit up in your agency issued Viking dry suit and you tear your neck seal (darn... should have used more powder...).  No problem, after all you work for the goverment, there are two more suits in your size on the equipment truck.  You switch out your suit and get all geared up.  On your way to the boat you feel like you have to hurl chunks (also known as having nausea and/or vomiting). 

What do you think is going on? 
If you are an experienced diver and understand what is happening then you will not be on your way to the boat.  Your Dive Master should also have noticed that you are not doing good and you tender should have stopped you. Anyways it sounds like you are allready overheated and you need to cool down.

>Big Grin
Nausea and/or vomiting could also be the result of a hard night of drinking, Intestinal Virus (48 hr. flu), dehydration, undermedicated pain,  Anxiety attack...Who's your standby medical staff???  Who's your standby diver??
Our cool calm professional should check his neck seal.  It is too tight.  The constriction is causing his nausea and/or vomiting. 

Remember, it’s a nice cool day so our diver is probably not overheated, although he could be.  Since he is a professional, he wouldn’t’ even go on the call if he was out drinking the night before or in any way not not physically or mentally prepared.

Pages: 1 2