MNScuba.com

Full Version: Question of the day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im running out of questions, lets hear from you. what type of questions do you have about PSD? In my classes there are no dumb questions, only things that I have not explained well.

What is PSD? How can one get involved and/or what is required for PSD? (I understand the PSD is Public Safety Diving - but, what does that encompass?)

I'm a Basic Open Water SCUBA diver. I love diving, and I've been certified since 1990 - is PSD something I should consider?
Public Safety Diving means different things to different people.  A very general description is that PSD is diving done for a public agency (Fire Department, Police Department, Sheriff’s Office) to meet a public need such as water rescue, drowning victim recovery and evidence recovery.  In MN we have so many bodies of water the “Public Need” for PSD’s is quite high.

There are many rescue and/or recovery teams all over the state.  Some of the teams are comprised of departmental employees such as active Fire Firefighters or Sheriff’s Deputies. Other teams encourage volunteer divers in the form of “Reserves.”   

PSD is not for everyone - it is hard work. Most of the teams I have had contact with require a fairly substantial commitment in time and training.  It is typical for a team to train at least twice a month and require that team members respond to a minimum of 80% of all calls.

Almost anyone with a strong desire can find a way to help in a PSD team.  There are several roles to fill including non-diving roles.  Experience divers are usually welcome so the department does not have to start from scratch with your training. 

In addition to the personal altruistic rewards for helping others, most teams provide equipment, basic training and specialty PDS training in return for your commitment.

If anyone is interested in PSD diving, please come out for coffee.  You can meet some local PSD divers and ask any questions you may have.  If you can’t make coffee, just post your questions here or contact Grumpy or I off line.
I think I'd love to come out for coffee. I volunteered for my local Fire Dept. before joining the Marine Corps. I love public service - I cannot explain it, but its in my blood.

I'm just back from vacation, but I'll watch the forums for when you guys meet next.