MNScuba.com

Full Version: Is the ice off yet ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK , I hope SOMEONE is keeping an eye on those lakes.  I have been waiting for someone to post a date when the ice comes off of good ol' Square !

(and of course , ahem , someone DOESN'T have to wait for the ice to come off , but we won't say who!!!)  Wink

Just curious you know!

I know you are all chomping at the bit to get back in!  I would be too .

Thanks!

Jean
Fort White , Florida
We just got an 8 inch snowfall on Monday, and another 5 yesterday, so unfortunately it will be a while.
Winter term classes just ended for me - anyone up for hauling some shovels, saws, and thermite up to Square and forcing the ice off?
Well Jean,  we went under the ice at Square last month and the thickness was only 1 ft or so.  That's about 1/2 of what you'd expect in a normal winter, so I'm hoping for the weekend of April 8/9 for Square to be open.

I keep seeing your posts on Cave Diver's Forum and get jealous.

It was kind of neat to see all the familiar platforms under the ice.  Vis wasn't too bad at around 30 ft.

Jeff

Jeff:
Maybe it WILL be an early ice out ... You never know.
And HOPEFULLY I can get a dive in with you when you come back down here to Cave Country! (fer sure)
I should be Apprentice by then and I can actually go other places.

Take care and I'll keep my fingers crossed for an early April ice-out !

Jean
Hi Jean,
I was out at Square Lake on Saturday 3-18-06.  Ice fisherman out there reported 12-18 inch ice.  I got to see a Bald Eagle, too bad I didn't have a camera!  My Washington County Parks parking permit for '06 just arrived in today's mail!  So my van, boat and I will be ready to go dive just as soon as we get "soft" water!  Will try to keep you updated, just as soon as we get back from South Padre, TX...Bubbble, bubbble, bubbble!!!!
I need to go back and check Square Lake again...As we returned from Texas I noted most of the lakes south of Faribault, Minnesota were open!  I can feel the open water season rapidly approaching!
Hi Jean,
Do you like "Slushies"?  Cause that's the consistency of the ice near shore...I went for a walk on the beach and got my hiker boots wet!  Crunched up a bunch of snail shells too.  Ice on the right hand side of the fishing pier is still probably 6 inches but honeycomed in spots.  The left hand side was opening up.  Today's temps were in the upper 40's,  and then there was that rain on Sunday...Soon Jean, Very Soon!
check this out

thanks Jim for the update on mn. ice out

Also, I sent you an email to your mnscuba box.
maxfactor
Pages: 1 2