MNScuba.com

Full Version: Stages of an U/W photographer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wtdrm

Found this on another site and thought I would pass it along.(just for kicks)

1. See some underwater pictures and decide to take up u/w photography.
2. Buy an MXxx/Aquashot/reefmaster and burn through a few dozen rolls.
3. Feel inadequate and purchase strobes, close-up lenses, and use Sea Processing.
4. Progress from prints to slides, where the keeper ratio is even smaller.
5. Sell the rig on eBay and purchase a Nikonos/housed system, dual strobes, multiple ports and lenses. DEPP usually comes into the picture at this stage. 6. Either become a diehard film person or progress from medium to high-end digital. (There is a small chance of having to do both film and digital, the worst-case scenario.)
7. Wander aimlessly from housing to housing, buying and selling strobes, getting lenses you don't need. Purchase a film scanner. Pay outrageous overweight charges for your two rolling Pelican cases that you are afraid to check on airplanes. Feel naked diving without a camera. Each dive costs you an extra $20 after film and processing.
8. Give it all up and save money by purchasing a Porsche instead.

Yea, I resemble that remark.  Too bad you don't get a t-shirt along the way. 

Seems a bit outdated thought.  Now days you can skip the point and shoot film and go for point and shoot digital.  Then work your way up in megapixles and cameras until you are at a top end DSLR (that is only top  end for a few months) then add in expensive memory cards, super fast computer  to process the images, personal web site fees, Photoshop software and classes, and all the other gear mentioned. 

All in all, I know I could have got a nice boat for all the $$ I have spent on "upgrading" camera stuff over the years.  If I had to do it all over again I would still rather have the camera........... 
Are you saying you don't have a really nice boat?  ;D
I did not mean to bad mouth my boat, It is a nice dive boat. I wouldn't take it to Isle Royale or anything, but I like it.

In reality it is just one more camera acessory.  It is just the device I use to carry cameras to the dive site.  ;D ;D
And the device you'll use to avoid the walk down to the Madeira as well, I imagine!
To early.