MNScuba.com

Full Version: Wetsuit Comparison
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What would be move effective in keeping the wearer warm:

a 7mm Titanium Akona Wetsuit -or-
a 6.5mm 2-pc Akona Wetsuit.

I heard 2 pc are better at warmth control (it would be 13mm for the torso) than a 1 pc - but, I heard that the Titanium ones are better at keeping water out - thus making them move effective. But I also heard that 2 pc suits let in more water.  ???

Anyone compare the two, or have information as to which is better?

Thanks!  Big Grin
I think as long as the 2 pc fits well, it should be wamer than the 1 pc. Given the 13mm compared to 7mm. Especially since its in that part of the body.
I don't think they make a wet/dry suit that is 13mm thick.  It would be almost impossible to move very smooth with and at depth you would have some incredible pressure to deal with. 

for my own thoughts.  I do dive a wet/dry suit  7mm .  I did 6 ice dives in it this year and wasn't cold one bit. 

I did just hear from a friend of mine that owes me money and he is sending me 3 dry suits.  one is a dui, and the other are wet/dry 7.5mm suits.    The one he traded debt for last year has turned out to be excellent for me.  So I will be looking forward to seeing the actual conditions of the suits when I get them.  He says they are in excellent  almost new condition.    I may have 2 for sale maybe 3 if i decide to part with the one i am currently using. 

maxfactor

I may have (wrongly) assumed that if a 6.5mm suit was a 2 pc, then you had the 6.5mm bottoms (farmer john which covers the torso), and a 6.5mm top (step-in jacket) for a combined total of 13mm. Is this an inaccurate understanding of how 2pc suits work?  ???

Thanks for the great reply - and I may be interested in a suit. AandA might have one avail as well - which reminds me, I need to call about that.  :-[

I'm so forgetful...  :Smile

is a wet/dry suit one that leeks ?  Wink
the correct answer is........... if it is a farmer type   you wouuld have the total equivilent of 13 mm  around the torso area .   However, think back to your early training.......ask yourself where do you lose most of your body heat from.      The answer is  from your head.  Therefore the most important part of your body to keep warm is your head.  I have found that a 7mm hood  works absolutely fine.  In ice diving the water is still only about 33-39 degrees and for a good 30 min. dive you will / should be warm enough.   So going back to the 7mm
it really works fine.

With regard to the question MNlakediver asked,   the suit doesn't readily let water in.  you just end up getting a little damp.  But  for the most part you are still pretty dry with 70 percent of your  undergarments. However, I also sometimes dive with nothing but the 7mm.  Like the last 6 dives at crosby in late november and December 1.  The water temp was 39 degrees. 

The water that does "seep" in     is  very quickly warmed by your body.  SO   bottom line.  YOUR NOT REALLY COLD OR VERY WET.  You get cold and wish you tied a rope to your......... unit  when you take it off and are standing in the wind.  (so to speak)

Have a nice day... Give me a call in the middle of the week if you are intersted in seeing the dry suits  and wet/dry suits that I've got coming.
MAXFACTOR
Hey MaxFactor...
I Also might be interested in one of those wet/dry suits.  Give me a call and maybe we can make a deal! 
Later ScubaDude!
Lisa
Sounds good Diverqueen.  I haven't seen the suits, so I do not know for sure the exact condition.  However, my friend did tell me that they are all in excellent conditon.  One is a womans med/lg.  which is the size you would take I think. 

His description on the equipment he had his brother send me was pretty accurate.  So,  I will POST a notice to you when I do get them. 
Thanks for your interest.

MaxFactor
Thanks for assuming I'm so petite in wetsuit sizes!  When I did my open water cert. I rented 3x men's Farmer Johns.  My own suit (purchased at GUDC)  is a womens 15/16 in 3/4/5 mm densities.   Later.
Sagacity,
The question you pose as to which is warmer a two piece or a one piece brings up other interesting variables that you've noticed.  In my opinion the suit that will keep YOU warmer ??? ???...... is the one that fits you better.  Yes indeed a two piece will place more neoprene around your core.  Will that keep ya warmer......maybe.  That would depend on how well the suit fits and how much water is allowed to travel between the layers. 
Theoretically the farmer john style should keep you warmer.  However the theory part just does not fit the real world....

I've stayed warm and gotten cold in both styles.  At this point I prefer fullsuits, but that’s probably just personal preference talking.

I also dive wet ;D.  I have a 7mm semidry wetsuit that is one-piece.  This wetsuit allows very very little water flow (sometimes my swimsuit will be dry when I'm done. Not often but sometimes.)  I always wear a 1mm skin under the suit.  I find this suit to be just fine for diving above the thermocline, and pretty good for brief (under a half hour below).  For the real cold water, under the ice, deep, superior, etc.  I layer a 3/2 fullsuit between the 1mm skin and the 7mm semidry.  This of course has the effect of providing me with an 11mm full suit.  For my head I'll double up on hoods.  For my feet I'll wear two pair of neoprene socks under my 7mm booties.  For my hands I'll even wear a pair of three finger mitts over my gloves.  I stay quite warm and toasty 8). 
Pages: 1 2 3