MNScuba.com

Full Version: RAW Now what do I do with them?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

wtdrm

On my last trip I took some pictures in RAW format. Silly question "now what do I do?"

I had to reload the program that came with my OLY to view them. Is there another program I need to play with?
CJ
Two options
1.  I believe your camera came with "Camedia" software, it can view RAW format and convert to JPT, TIFF, etc.
2.  I also believe within the camera, when you are viewing the photo's, you can save them as a more common format.
There are several third party software packages that can work with RAW files.  I like most versions of Photoshop.  If you have a Mac, then IPhoto does ok too. 

A better question is why aren't you shooting RAW all the time?  The RAW file format gives you tons more post processing power.  I found that I have many more "keepers" when shooting RAW, and that is why I take a camera anyway...

If you only have a few, if you send them to me, I will change them to JPG for you....

chris

RAW uses a lot of memory. Often rec photographers don't need that much post-processing power for the cost in space used on their camera's memory card.

...at least I think so....plus, its less common a format, allowing the photographer to go from camera to email, photoalbum, or whatever w/o fiddling w/ conversion software.

wtdrm

No, I can convert them. I just need photo shop to see if I can adjust them.
I purposely shot RAW to see the difference. Thanks for the help.
CJ
National camera and video have classes that will teach you basics such as that. For you question though Photo Shop is the standard. Raw files are of better quality. You can always take detail away, but it can be very hard to add and takes a lot of manipulating of several pictures. Compacting files looses detail. It is a trade off quality or space saving. There are a few programs like photo shop which have diffrent levels of compression. Where you can compress your file and very little detail is lost if you choose. I said very little but still some.

When ever you get something you have to give somewhere.