MNScuba.com

Full Version: Split fins: why not DIR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

chrisw

From the spring heel thread:

Okie doke, I'll bite. Why aren't split fins DIR? (What is the technical error/increased risk they suffer from?)
I was wondering the same thing!!! What gives? Why no split fins? How about the Mares hinged fins?

Wouldn't no fins be even more streamlined? Nothing to go wrong if you don't have a fin? No sense relying on something that could fail if you can get along without it Wink
There are many reasons that DIR divers will give. The main reason that I don't like them is they lack power for tech diving. I tried a pair ONCE and it was enough to convince me that I didn't need to buy my own. I was diving a deeper wreck in Lake Michigan with a set of doubles on and a couple of 80's under my arm when I tried them out. I felt like I wasn't going anywhere with them on. On the next dive I put my old rubber jet fins back on and was cruising around all over the wreck with the same tank set-up.That is MY main personal bias against them. As far as DIR goes:

They are a line trap because of the split.

They have buckles on them that can break and are also line traps.

They don't allow a diver to use all of the proper tech diving kicks- frog, backwards,ect. only flutter will work and I don't know of any tech/wreck/cave divers who flutter kick too often. We almost always frog kick.

They're too light and you still need to wear ankle weights with them which allows for another failure point.

They cost too much money. Belive it or not, part of DIR is saving your money for the things that you really need, like a good drysuit, and not wasting it on gimmicks. Many people have the misconception that DIR is more expensive when it really is much cheaper if you buy the right gear to start with.

Lamar Hires, of Diverite, posted a whole list of reasons why they were bad on the Dive Rite homepage at one time.

My best comparison for them is an expensive pair of Force Fins. They feel about the same underwater and both have the same limited uses- going forward in flutter mode only.

In the end you need to just get out and dive with whatever you have. I don't think that anyone is going to die using split fins on a 30' dive. I have seen people kick the heck out of the vis on a shipwreck with them while diving in the Great Lakes. Thus, I try to stay far away from them once they hit the water.

Jon
I have never tried them. Maybe Chris will let me borrow them one time just to try.
And thanks for the feedback..Much appreciated...
I have been practicing my "frogging" with my stiff blades. Starting to actually get the hang of it (SOMEWHAT!)

Jean Smile

DRE

One more reason (and maybe not the best): sometimes the only way to make headway in a high flow cave where there is no possibility of pull-and-gliding is to kick off against the ceiling: the shorter and more rigid the fin is the easier it is to do.
I agree with Jon, why spend $200 on a pair of split fins when you can spend $60 on a pair of Jet Fins that'll do a better job?

The only benefit I see for splitfins is for people who have extremely weak leg muscles (but then again hitting the gym might be a better solution for that).
I have not as yet bought a pair of split fins but would like to relate my experience with them.
My brother, his friend, and I were diving the Madera. On the surface swim back to shore they swam away from me in their splits like I was just floating there. My brother saw me and came back to lend a helping fin. (helped tow me :-[)
Since then I have been researching splits on Rodales Scuba Diving site and other places including opinions here.
According to the Rodale article, testers had the sensation of
of not getting anywhere that Jon mentioned, but test results showed they achieved greater speeds and were able maintain
those speeds longer than with blades.
Check out their articles and reviews at
scubadiving.com
Go to Gear reviews in the grey area at the top and click on fins.
Granted they are expensive and that is mostly what is stopping me from just buying them. I am hoping that like most new technology prices will come down evenually.
I often wonder if new scuba technologies are designed to actually improve our diving or lighten our wallet. Wink

I've spent a couple pool sessions playing with split fins. My impression is that split fins are definitely easier to kick. You have to modify the flutter kick a bit to minimize effort and maximize speed. The first time I used split fins I thought they were very ineffective because I was trying to use a standard flutter kick. They are good fins for older divers.

I use a frog kick most of the time now to conserve energy and increase visibility. My quattros are more effective for this diving style.
Hey Jason,
you had to know that "older divers" was gonna get something.. Wink , how about "less muscular legged divers" .. I'm just wondering if I'll reach an age where I need split fins for freediving. ;D make me laugh!!
Fred
I am still looking for an answer about the Mares Volo Fin (with the hing)
Fred, sometimes I have to throw a bone to the "seniors" in the crowd. Haha! Smile

igotoofar, the strap design on your Volo fin is exactly the same as the ones I broke. You replace the straps so that you never have to again.

Once you go spring strap you never go back.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5