MNScuba.com

Full Version: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
DOES  ANYONE  KNOW  HOW  MUCH  THE    STATE  OF TAX'S  (MINNESOTA)    ALREADY  OWNS........ 

DO WE REALLY NEED TO CUT OUT PRIVATE OWNERSHIP EVEN FURTHER.....?

AT WHAT COST  DOES  THE STATE  PAY TO ACQUIRE  A PIT. OR ALL THE LAND AROUND IT.    THE LAW OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND REQUIRES THAT THEY END UP PAYING A TON FOR THE LAST PART......

EMINENT DOMAIN DOESN'T WORK IN THIS CASE.  THEY NEED TO PROVE A MAJOR BENEFIT TO THE PUBLIC,  AND THEY CAN'T REALLY JUSTIFY PURCHASING MORE PIT LAND, MUCH LESS MORE  "  RECREATIONAL LAND."

WE SHOULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND BUY SOME LAKE LOTS FROM THE PRIVATE OWNERS.....  There is a reason its private land.  Investors decided along time ago, that it was a valuable investment. 

I can appreciate the "not bashing" comment... as i am not only a patriot, hero, and supporter of authority,  ...... but  lets face it.....      someones got to speak up on some of these issues.....

"Comprehensive Plan"      is code  for    we're gonna get it from you private land owners..  we just need time to figure out how.....  its also code for    you show me your hand now,  so i (THE STATE OF TAX'S...MINNESOTA.....)  can figure out how to play OUR MONOPOLY....TAX  U  TO DEATH CARDS.... 

MAXFACTOR.........  SUPPORTER OF FREE ENTERPRISE.  REPUBLICAN.... AND  KING OF MY HILL.
one more  unforgettable yet unfounded rumor.... IS IT TRUE THAT ONE OF THE DNR COMMISIONERS  paid a SPIRITUAL ADVISOR  FOR    ADVICE  ON HOW TO 'BEST SHEPPARD THE LAND AND WATERS IT CONTROLS. 

DO WE REALLY NEED THIS  MUCH DIVINE INTERVENTION, OR  WITCHCRAFT.... depending on your point of view.

What happened to the last  head of the DNR.....?  Please do some research......  When you answer that question....  please post it here.

friend of maxfactor
Just found out that the state of minnesota ranks 8 or 9  in total land owned by the state. 

In other words, out of 50 states,  Minnesota owns alot of minnesota. 
However, if you factor in rare states such as Nevada, where the state owns very little land, but the FEDERAL GOVT. owns about 80 percent of the land,    and you knock off  Alaska  Minnesota owns an obsene amout of land. 

LETS COMPARE COUNTIES.....  Most people in Minnesota know that HENNEPIN County is relatively large in geographic area. 
So.... lets compare other counties in Minnesota with Hennepin, and see how much of County land is controlled / owned by the state of Minnesota.

There are between 6 and 8 counties that are roughly 5 to 8 times larger in geographic territory then Hennepin, and the State of Minnesota owns on average between 25 and 45 percent of the entire county.   

OF COURSE,  MY ENTIRE POINT IN THIS DISCUSSION IS THAT THE STATE ALREADY OWNS BETWEEN 25 AND  45 PERCENT OF AIKEN, AND CROW WING COUNTY AS IT IS,    DO THEY REALLY NEED TO OWN MORE LAND ESPECIALLY  WHERE LAKE FRONTAGE IS AT STAKE. 

THE SIMPLE ANSWER IS NO.  THEY ALREADY OWN..    2.6 MILLION ACRES OF LAKES. 
I'M DONE WITH THIS .......

P.S.......    TO MAKE MY POINT ONE MORE TIME,  THE STATE CAN'T AFFORD TO MAINTAIN THE LAND THEY ALREADY OWN, SO WHY ARE THEY EVEN SUGGESTING THEY WANT TO BUY MORE LAND.      IE"  THEY CLOSED IT DOWN...FOR CAMPING,  BUT THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO PUT A SIGN UP INDICATING THAT IT'S CLOSED TO CAMPERS. 

I'M CAMPING AT LOUISE AS SOON AS I CAN GET BACK UPTHERE.  WHAT ARE THEY GONNA SAY....  CAN'T YOU READ THE INVISIBLE SIGNS AT THE  NON  EXISTENT GATE.

MAX
I would rather have the state own these lands; state forests, wildlife management areas, wildlife sanctuaries, state parks, public lake accesses, historic points of interest, and others than to see them sold to developers and have cabins and homes built in all of these places.

Imagine what would happen to the Cuyuna range pits if there were homes all around them with 'perfectly' groomed lawns running right to the water's edge.  You can forget about 30 foot visibility, access to most pits, and camping, period.

The state owns all of this land because, luckily, we still live in a very rural state where the outdoors has a very strong tradition with it's residents.  Instead of thinking about it as a way of 'controlling' the land, think of it as 'protecting' the very things that are so important to our (at least my) way of life.

There will be camping again in the pits, it just won't be the 'free-for-all' it was in the past.  Organization is not a bad thing.

I hear you loud and clear.  Believe it or not we are very close in many issues.  BUT.....  MN  still owns too much land already.  It is obscene. 

keep paying high tax's.....  enjoy...

I do have a question for you.  How many times have you camped at CROSBY?  How many times have you dived there?

maxfactor
I have never camped at the pits.  I don't need to, my house is only 10 miles away.  It is the only place I have dove so far (23 dives since last July when I got certified).  I have also fished there a number of times.

I have camped at numerous other state owned campsites.

In my opinion, the state does not own enough land.  Keep this beautiful land out of the hands of developers and lake associations.

Too many people only see $$$$$ when they see land and lakes, they don't consider preserving the ecosystems or proper land management.

crosby is in crowwing co and the state only has 2% to 5% owenership in that county. most of the land would not be good for development because the pits are deep and cold and the ground id hard to work in. also there is a larg population of eagles in the pits area that would lose there homes if privite development started. there are better places to cut goverment spending then land ownership.

Hey Joe,
              when you move there, get a big comfortable couch okay?  And a boat we can make it to the Florida middle grounds with.  I will get us the GPS coordinates.  I will be your anchor biatch.  We can sell our fish  to pay for our fuel and our trips.  And will forward our pictures of our fish, and the cash we get from selling them to the Minnesota DNR just to piss them off! >Big Grin
biodiver,   first   thank you for your response.  I am jealous already.  I wish I could afford to live up there.  Your comment about  wishing the state would own more land.... is  spoken like a true democrat.     Congratulations.,    All that said,   I would love to dive with you some time up there.  I will most likely be camping up that way this weekend near Louise.  I am not sure which unit I will have.  Maybe campsite  33A.   

as for SHOOTER,  you my biatch.    Lets get down there.  I know your business, and I can guarantee that you can have more business in Florida then you can ever have in MN. 

Its not  funny how business owners and many divers see it the way I see it about the issue.   Most divers work really hard and are very successful in whatever business or profession that they choose.  That's probably why they are against state ownership.     

It reminds me of the blip on the news tonight about the GUY IN WIS.  who is opening a  ADOLPH HITLER musuem.   He claims he had a plan.    STATE OWNERSHIP.....   

State supporters should start practicing they're salute.

As for me,   my family a long military record  fighting for freedom... not state ownership.   SO YOU KNOW WHERE I STAND.   

BioDiver.   Lets dive Sat. at Louise.   I will show you a buried dog in the cave that the DNR shot.  a picture of.

MNLAKEDIVER..    Jimbo...... First I thought   Louise was in Atiken County or Cass.  You are correct in that it actually lies in Crow Wing County. (2 - 5% of the county is owned by the State of Taxes)...  or  roughy based on the geographic size of the county...  it is the equivilent of about 20 % of the size of Hennepin County.     That being said,  check out the link here and just see how much  land the  State does control up there.

Part of the confusion is that the fire deptments that respond are in different counties.   so ... there.

Also you may want to wonder.... if the state of minn owns all this land        why don't we have disney world here.    Its not exactly a big tourist destination. 

SELL THE LAND.......    Grow the economy...... LOWER TAXES...........  LET FREEDOM RING.......

MaxFactor
All I'm saying is that I would rather have the pits publically owned than seeing 'NO TRESSPASSING' signs on all of the entrances to the places we all love to dive.  Or to not be able to access a favorite lake because now there are houses all around it.  Or to no longer hunt on a great section of land because they are building a mall, or whatever.

The only difference now is that we won't have to put up with the trash, theft, drugs, drunks and other such low-life.  It is simply a more clean, controlled environment.

By the way MAXFACTOR, I won't be able to dive on Sat.  I work a lot of weekends and this happens to be one of them.  Sorry.
Pages: 1 2 3 4