MNScuba.com

Full Version: WD-40 & Stage Clips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm thinking of using WD-40 on my stage bottle clips.  They don't slide as easily as they used to... do you think this will help?  I'm worried about possible damage the chemical may have with: my dry-suit, dry-suit gloves, BC, etc.

Any comments, experiences, recommendations, etc. welcomed.
WD - 40 would be bad to any neoprene equipment and possibly to your BC.  It would at the very least stain and attract dirt.

Could a graphite powder work?  Maybe that would just wash off too easily?

How about silicone?
This stuff works great.  It's "synthetic" and "impervious to salt water".  It doesn't harm plastic, painted surfaces, etc.  Contains PTFE (teflon, i think).
Anyway, works  great, not expensive.
Pic is of 3 oz. tube from Harbor Freight.  Smaller tubes available at some hardware stores and I saw it once at Menard's.  There is also an oil of the same brand.  You want the grease for clips.

wtdrm

Ant CARQUEST store will have it.
Try a dry film lubricant like CRC Dry Moly Lube.  After the solvent evaporates, it is dry and stays put.  I haven't tried this on clips yet, but have used it on many other things.

Thanks!

Corndogg

Matt Damon!
Are your clips brass or stainless?
If brass I would would replace them with SS.  All my brass clips buggered up in 5 years or less but stainless is still going strong.  Also check how any new clips work before you buy it.  Some or just bad from the start.
greg
I have had good results for a long time with spray silicone. You can get in tight with one of those spray "straws" which works well for clips.
Pages: 1 2