MNScuba.com

Full Version: Pumpkin Carving Contest...Oct 19th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just starting a thread for the Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest
on Oct. 19th, 2002 at Lake Harriet. I called Smith Diving and
they said that entry into the water is at 11 AM.
I just registered, and am hoping some of you guys can make it.
(This will be my first time, but hey, first time for everything!!!)

Thanks...Jean ;D
I'm thinking about giving this a try. Any tips from past years? I assume you can't mark up the punpkin ahead of time and then just do the cutting underwater???? I looked at the web site for Smith diving and don't think I could carve one of the winners on dry land, let alone underwater. I don't have a partner for the event so if your interested in giving it a try let me know.
Sounds great!!! I am definately going...Paid already etc....
I don't know about putting tracing marks on the pumpkin either, but I will check on that.
And I am very weak myself on artistry skills myself...I just think it will be a blast just trying to do this...

I will be there....

Thanks...Jean ;D

P.S. Thanks for the tips on the weights...I was thinking about that..A pound or two should suffice!!!
A useful tip...

Bring along a couple of extra weights to place inside the pumpkin to help keep it down and more stable. Pumpkins otherwise float. Hope this helps, good luck and have fun!
Jean,

Have fun, buddy. Raise the banner of the SCUBA Mamas. Wink
You bet I will...And I will fly it proudly!!!!
And will I have fun...You betcha, don't ya know!!!

Besides, now that both Scuba Mama's have tasted salt water....
YAHOOO!!!!!!
(More on that later...)

Thanks...Jean ;D
As of Thursday Afternoon, the dive is still *ON*

There are about 16 of us crazy people signed up for this...
And, YES, we can trace our designs beforehand....

Thanks...Jean ;D
The pumpkin carving contest in Lake Harriet went off without a hitch on Saturday Morning.
I got paired up with a really nice buddy, and we went to it. Went down about 20 Feet and started hacking
and sawing. I made sure I overweighted myself to keep myself down. (Should have used my ankle weights)
The hardest part was trying to put the pieces into the trash bag...Some floated, others sank...

We didnt win anything carving wise (Some of the carvings were unbelievable) but I won a very nice Ikelite Dive
Light in the raffle drawing.. And of course, a tee-shirt that says what crazy things divers will do for fun!!!
Make another dive with a couple of divers that like to MUCK DIVE...We found bottles, jars, cans, etc..etc..etc
Lake Harriet is a junk pit....
Viz about 5-7 Feet... Water Temp 50-51 Degrees...

All in all I had a great time...And then it snows the next day...Go Figure!!!!

Thanks...Jean ;D
Sounds like you had a great time. I'll be sure to do it next year. Saturday ended up not working out for me. Be sure to post any photo's you may have of the punkins. I'd love to see some of the entries....
I will definately put my pics out there (if they turn out) and
you can go to smithdiving.com to see all of us in a group picture after the dive.
Smith Diving may have more pictures coming out on their site...

Now get this...Turkey dive on Saturday, Nov 16...
(Yep, thru Smith Diving again...)
And guess who has signed up already...

Thanks...Jean ;D